Insurance options for duplex with a tenant who has a pitbull?

Insurance options for duplex with a tenant who has a pitbull?

Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 76 posts · 9 votes
I am buying a duplex that is currently rented out with 1 year leases on both sides. The leases are up in November. The one caveat is that the one tenant has a fairly large pitbull. Was wondering what my options might be for insurance? I know a lot of insurance agencies will not insure with pitbulls including my personal insurance for my primary residence.
1Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 338 posts · 332 votes
10y

ANY dog can attack and bite. You only hear about it in the news if it's a "pit bull," even though most of the time, it's a boxer or bulldog or bull terrier etc. 

Ontario's breed specific legislation is misguided and only serves to make residents afraid out of ignorance. It's blanket policies like Stephen E's that are responsible for the euthanasia of thousands of innocent family pets.

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jason BottPro Member
    Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @David Stone I'm seeing some companies insure these properties with an "Animal Exclusion".  It solves your property coverage issue but still leaves you with a large liability exposure.

    Sorry, I do not know of any company who knowingly insures properties with Bitbulls.

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 76 posts · 9 votes
    10y
    Thanks for the info Jason!
  • Mike CumbieBusiness Member
    REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Hi @David Stone,

    I am checking with my insurance Guru to see if they cover it (in Ohio), if so I will send over a contact. She has ways to get most things done.

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 76 posts · 9 votes
    10y
    Awesome! Thanks Mike!!!
  • Mike CumbieBusiness Member
    REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    @David Stone,

    I talked to my contact and she said she could do Ohio, but not a PitBull. She did check and she believes that if there is no "Bite history" State Farm will cover it without an exclusion (Provided you live in Ohio as well). So she said to contact a State Farm agent in the area and they may be able to write it for you.

    Good Luck

  • Software Developer · Vidor, TX · Member since 2015 · 922 posts · 639 votes
    10y

    I think you're going to find that near impossible to find.  If you do, the premium is going to be highly unfavorable.   Don't renew the lease (go month to month) and increase the rent to cover the increased premium cost.  They'll either stay and pay for the cost of your additional liability, or move.

  • Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 86 posts · 45 votes
    10y

    Hi David Stone.

    That is a GREAT question!

    I am also in Ohio, and I have reviewed this extensively with my insurance agent. It can be done. 

    You have to have the tenant get the dog certified as a :

    Canine Good Citizen® 

    It is a program that shows the owner and dog are responsible.

    http://www.akc.org/dog-owners/training/canine-good...

    Here are the dogs that are on the "dangerous dog" list:

    American Pit Bull Terrier

    American Staffordshire Terrier

    Chow Chow

    Doberman Pinscher

    Presia Canerios

    Rottweiler

    Stafforshire Terrier

    Wolf Hybrid

    Once you have the animal certified, the duplex can be insured with anyone. My insurer is Nationwide. If you need my insurance persons' contact info, just PM me!

    Hope this helps.

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 338 posts · 332 votes
    10y

    I have an American Pit Bull Terrier.

    State Farm does not have breed restrictions nor do they ask about dogs' breeds.  This is why I am loyal to them. Breed bans are essentially dog racism and don't take individual temperaments into account. 

    State Farm also doesn't require any silly certificates. 

    That said, I'd make sure any tenants' dogs have excellent references, are licensed, spayed/neutered and that their vet records are up to date. And I'd meet the dog myself, just to make sure it's well behaved. 

  • St Thomas, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 575 posts · 408 votes
    10y

    @David Stone The pitbull and the tenant have to go. Why take on uninsurable risks? Here in Ontario pitbulls are banned completely and that is because of a series of horrific attacks on children and others. Why would you want to risk being named in a lawsuit because of having allowed one of these dogs on your property? Don't take on these potential liabilities - it is time to clean house.

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 338 posts · 332 votes
    10y

    ANY dog can attack and bite. You only hear about it in the news if it's a "pit bull," even though most of the time, it's a boxer or bulldog or bull terrier etc. 

    Ontario's breed specific legislation is misguided and only serves to make residents afraid out of ignorance. It's blanket policies like Stephen E's that are responsible for the euthanasia of thousands of innocent family pets.

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 76 posts · 9 votes
    10y
    I agree with you 100% Dani. My parents have a pitbull along with many of my friends and they are great dogs. I will definitely contact State Farm for insurance. Thanks for everyone's help!
  • Rental Property Investor · Providence, RI · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    10y

    in their application let them know that pet insurance is a must. Burden is on them. If they can't get it, unfortunately they can't get the apartment/house. Good tenants or not, cover your *** with things like that!!!

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    10y
    Foremost insurance
  • Specialist · Lakewood, CO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @David Stone When getting rental property insurance I have never been asked if the tenant has an animal. That may not be the norm though. I require every renter to have renter's insurance. I also require that any renter with a pet have a pet rider on that animal. If it is one of the "dangerous" breeds, then it is up to them to find which insurance company will insure them. If not, they don't get to have that animal. Until the stigma against breeds (rather than idiot owners) goes away it is an extra pain that they have to deal with, not you.

  • Insurance Agent / Investor · Shelby Township, MI · Member since 2015 · 43 posts · 16 votes
    10y
    You may want to check with a local independent agent, it may save you some time from having to call all around. They represent numerous companies and may have a company that is not as concerned with dogs in their underwriting rules. If you just do a google search with the term insurance agent and your zip code plenty should pop up.
  • Altamonte Springs, FL · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    I can assist and answer your questions regarding Canine Liability

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    State Farm supposedly insures with pitbulls

  • Altamonte Springs, FL · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    There has been a recent report that there are now more bites in Ontario than before the pit ban.  Now the German Shepard is the "bad" breed and get this Labs are next.  This is not A BREED problem.  Identification of what dog caused the injury is extremely difficult.  A study out of the University of Florida found, after quizzing 6000 dog professionals it was found that only 27% of the 100 dogs were correctly identified.  I believe that any dog involved in an incident with a square head is instantly labeled a pit bull.  For fun pull up the "Find the pit bull"  there are around 25 dogs and I missed finding the pit until my 6th try.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.