Real Estate Investor · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 3 votes
My tenant wants to put a storage shed in the backyard. The tenant is paying for it. I do not see any problem with it . Can I say yes ? Am I missing something? I am planning to call my insurance and see what they say?
Anyone had similar situation?
Please advise. Thanks in advance
Salisbury, MD · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 3 votes
10y
I agree with JR. Putting a pad in will make the shed last and not rot/fall over forcing you to remove it. Keep in mind, this will add minor expenses to you such as staining and re roofing if it is not metal roofing to keep it nice.
Check with zoning as well, some places do the +200 sqft requires a building permit and zoning permit. This can also slightly increase the cost of taxes as well. The upside is the shed will generate more income for you in the future with future tenants.
I would say it is a 100% go, but check zoning and building codes first. If it were me, I would advise them to do a metal roofing because it is cheaper and tends to hold up better over long periods (20+ years). For your concrete pad do a 6" offset from the extents of the shed. So if the shed is 10x10 do an 11x11 pad to accommodate it. 6" deep would most likely be plenty. If you want to do the pad right, get someone who knows how to excavate so its level, it will help the life of the concrete.
Financial services executive · Frederick, MD · Member since 2015 · 609 posts · 341 votes
10y
You can say yes. I would advise them it's a leasehold improvement and they cannot take it when they go. If a concrete pad doesn't exist for it consider paying for that since you will have that shed when they move.
Salisbury, MD · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 3 votes
10y
I agree with JR. Putting a pad in will make the shed last and not rot/fall over forcing you to remove it. Keep in mind, this will add minor expenses to you such as staining and re roofing if it is not metal roofing to keep it nice.
Check with zoning as well, some places do the +200 sqft requires a building permit and zoning permit. This can also slightly increase the cost of taxes as well. The upside is the shed will generate more income for you in the future with future tenants.
I would say it is a 100% go, but check zoning and building codes first. If it were me, I would advise them to do a metal roofing because it is cheaper and tends to hold up better over long periods (20+ years). For your concrete pad do a 6" offset from the extents of the shed. So if the shed is 10x10 do an 11x11 pad to accommodate it. 6" deep would most likely be plenty. If you want to do the pad right, get someone who knows how to excavate so its level, it will help the life of the concrete.
Do not allow the tenant to choose the shed. If there is going to be an addition to your property it must be what you want not what they want. As long as you choose the shed there should be no issue.
Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y
I wold echo to be sure you choose the shed. Maybe let them select the size and pay for the one they want, the. You plan on chipping in a few extra $$$ to get a good one.
There are a lot of crappy, cheap metal sheds out there that will last a few years then start rusting - then you're the one who has to remove it.
Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y
They will outgrow the shed, start piling stuff around the sides and then you'll need another shed !1
They have storage facilities more than likely in your area suggest that.
Cities have set back issues with sheds, and size issues with sheds also. If you choose to permit this I'd put in your own shed and charge them $$ to use it, and make it nothing stacked or stored along the shed outside.
Next it will be I need the yard fenced because someone broke into the shed.
Investor · Santa Rosa Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 232 posts · 153 votes
10y
If they are good tenants, with a good track record of caring for the house and respecting the rules, I don't see a problem at all. Be cure to check with your HOA, if applicable. I would ask to have final approval of the shed they choose and draft a quick addendum outlining the terms of the agreement. The agreement might address: does it stay with house, proof that they have added it to their rental insurance policy, and that they are solely responsible for any necessary repairs. Keeping good tenants happy saves a lot of time and money in the long run. The more they make your house their home, the longer they are likely to stay. That is the GOAL!
Financial services executive · Frederick, MD · Member since 2015 · 609 posts · 341 votes
10y
I would I inform the tenants I need to approve their choice, not choose it for them. The shed gets affixed to the pad which makes it a leasehold improvement. You could ask for 12-24 lease extension with 3% rent bumps too. You're in a great position where you get to make money while doing a favor for your customer.
Rental Property Investor · Edison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 753 posts · 565 votes
10y
My husband and I are considering adding a shed at our primary residence. In our area a zoning permit is required for all sheds and a building permit if the shed is over a certain square footage. I would suggest checking with your local town office and requiring that a permit be obtained (if that is needed) before the tenants bring a shed onto the property.
Specialist · Lakewood, CO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y
@Jason Kramer do you want a shed at that property? If not, then say no. If you think it is a great addition, let them pay for it, but ensure that they do it properly. If permits are needed, cement pad, certain colors, etc. They can buy it but you need to ensure that it is something you want. Also, ensure that they sign an agreement that the shed becomes part of the property and remains after they move. If not, make sure they sign an agreement that they pay for the cost of removal and to return the site to its original configuration (i.e. removing pad/supports and putting in new sod or whatever).
@Account Closed that's only half correct. If the shed must follow zoning, match the property, etc. then it will likely become a capital improvement and is permanent. If it is a crappy little cardboard shed, then you are right. Depending on the type of property and neighborhood it can go either way.