• Investor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Landlord rights to enter property?

Andrew Briggs
  • Investor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Posted Oct 9 2016, 14:48

Hi, I have 2 small rent houses on one lot in Fort Worth, TX.  Today I went over to get a bid from a contractor for the back house for exterior painting.  Incidentally - in addition to painting - I started asking about installing foundation vents on both houses.  So the contractor and I went into the fenced yard at the front house (not planned) so he could look at some of the exterior siding to make his bid for the vent installation.  We weren't inside the fence more than 5 minutes when the tenant drove in and told my contractor "what the hell are you doing on my property"...

Just to be clear we never went inside the house.  Just went inside the fenced yard and were there for about 5 minutes or so.  This was an incidental, unplanned event where ultimately I'm looking to do maintenance on these properties.  I am the landlord/owner.

Previously the front tenant (who yelled at my contractor) asked me to let him know whenever I need to access his property including yard and house.  He says it's a liability because he has two dogs in the yard (btw, the 2nd dog is not on the lease and really is not supposed to be there in the first place...).  I verbally agreed to do the best I can as far as letting the tenant know in advance if I need to access.  And for the most part, I've followed his request.

Here's the verbiage in my lease:

"ACCESS TO PREMISES:

The Owner reserves the right to enter the residence at reasonable times to inspect, make necessary

repairs, supply services, or show it to prospective residents, purchasers, workmen, or contractors.

Whenever practicable, a two-day notice of the Owner’s intent to enter shall be given to the Resident."

Have I violated the tenant's rights?  How would a court look at this?  Appreciate your feedback.

Andy

Loading replies...