Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
JR T.
  • Financial services executive
  • Frederick, MD
Votes |
Electrician Required for LOREX Camera System Install - ??

JR T.
  • Financial services executive
  • Frederick, MD
Posted Oct 23 2016, 07:25

Help me out here BP members. A number of my buildings are 100 years old, you enter through a common door to a common area that accesses 3-4 apartments typically on different floors with 1 or 2 per floor. Part of upgrading these buildings is upgrading the common areas, but I cannot invest in that without first installing a multi camera security system to protect my investment. Absent supervision the tenants will destroy any work we do within a month. 

City of Hagerstown, Maryland has told me that I need to have a city licensed electrician install the cameras because the buildings are more than 2-unit multi-family. This has been their position for 6 months. We have,  by the way, contacted every electrician we could identify in and around Hagerstown and none did camera installations. 

Today I looked up the National Electric Code and found an article 840 which deals with Premises Powered Broadband Communication Systems, I believe that is the definition of my LOREX system which runs on coaxial camera cable that takes a single run from the back of the DVR to the back of the camera. We do not have to drill any holes I do not understand where this is coming from. The city code lady is calling it "low voltage wiring" but my reading on the low voltage wiring described nothing which sounded like a camera system.

Your thoughts? What should I do? Just install the cameras and say take me to court? I hate the city so I'd probably call them and tell them when I was doing it to insure we got our day in court together.

Loading replies...