Tenant wants to instal HVAC system

6 Replies

Hello again.

My Tenant who is an HVAC installer and Tech called me yesterday and offered me a very good deal on a full central heating and air system and install.  My original plan was to have a mini split put in at some point in the near future.  Currently rental property has baseboard heating and a wall unit A/C.  He is willing to do a complete install for the cost of what a Mini Split ductless would cost.

Normally I wouldn't have even thought about a central heating and air install becasue of the cost and well, I'm not living there.   East Wenatchee has temperature extremes, Very cold in the winter and pretty darned hot in the summers and becasue of this I feel this would be an investment in the property and help down the road when and if we decide to sell.

I would like some thoughts on this from the Bigger Pockets Community .

Ron 

Tenants and work don't mix in my opinion. Just be careful. Get references and treat him just like any other contractor. I wouldn't swap rent for work, it's never worked well for me.

I had a tenant who was an electrician and he wanted to add a bunch of cans for more lighting  He just wanted me to buy the fixtures and he would install it . The deal worked out great and the tenant enjoyed the lighting Improvements add to the resale of your property ,but they must be done correctly . Is that a project that you can pull your own permit for ?

Originally posted by @Tim Hall :

Tenants and work don't mix in my opinion. Just be careful. Get references and treat him just like any other contractor. I wouldn't swap rent for work, it's never worked well for me.

Already decided not to swap or deduct from rent.  I would just pay him $$.   I would also have a contract written up for work done. Its no different than hiring a contractor to do repairs.

Originally posted by @Steven Picker :

I had a tenant who was an electrician and he wanted to add a bunch of cans for more lighting  He just wanted me to buy the fixtures and he would install it . The deal worked out great and the tenant enjoyed the lighting Improvements add to the resale of your property ,but they must be done correctly . Is that a project that you can pull your own permit for ?

I am checking on that.

You are requires to get an electrica permit. Yes you can just get your own permit.

However the homeowner would need to get it.

Only homeowners and contractors can get permits.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.