Melissa Neil
  • Zephyrhills, FL
Votes |
Landlord Entry-trespassing? (Florida)

Melissa Neil
  • Zephyrhills, FL
Posted Oct 28 2016, 15:43

Hi again. 

I posted earlier this month about a tenant that was unhappy with the length of time a bathroom repair was taking and made mention of not paying the rent. 

Now, fast forward, yesterday the renovations were complete and the project manager asked if I would come sign off. I did so. 

The tenant sent a letter today accusing me of trespassing on the property for not asking permission to enter. The project manager, painter and the plumber were also still at the job site. I entered with the project manager, looked over the work and left. 

Florida law does state that pension is needed to enter without cause. The lease states that if a repair has been requested that the landlord may enter without permission. This was an ongoing repair (2 months) and I had not previously entered the residence without notifying the tenant. The tenant was home and did not say anything at the time. I nodded to her on my way out with the project manager. 

Was I wrong to assume that I could enter while the crew was there to inspect the project? Asking permission and giving 12 hours notice seems  impossible to get the work done if that were actually the case. Thankfully, I only had to inspect the final product. 

Any Florida tenant/landlord experts out there? 

Melissa~

Loading replies...