contractors and landlords please help answer this

9 Replies

My tenant wants to purchase a welding unit and  ends a 220 volt outlet for it. The AC unit is plugged into a 220volt outlet but it's not accessible.
1.Is it okay to get a 220 volt out installed? 

2. My tenant said he would pay for it, and WA to to know how much it would be. So how would I go about setting this up legally? 

3. Should I accommodate him in the first place? 
Please advise as I want to take the appropriate steps.  Thanks y'all. 

A good electrician will know the answers off the top of his head. 

My concern would be fire risk if he is welding inside your property. Will your insurance cover that? You certainly couldn't claim you didn't know he was welding if you installed a 220 line to accommodate him.

Our lease has a "no alterations" clause that would not allow for any alterations that are not approved by the landlord. Any alterations should be reviewed by the landlord and performed by a professional of the landlord's choice and since this is a tenant request, it would be a charge they would need to incur. To cover yourself for insurance purposes, you could request the tenant to provide proof of renters insurance, if you do not already do so.

I wouldn't want to allow tenant welding on my property. That sounds like too much heat, flammability, and risk. As a commercial general contractor, anyone doing welding on our jobsite must fill out a hot work permit at the beginning of the day, sign out at the end of the day, and stay 30 minutes after the work is complete to make sure all flammables are out. Knowing that's how we monitor welding for safety, I wouldn't want to have that responsibility over a tenant on my property.

Does the welding occur outdoors?  I assume it does, but didn't see it mentioned.

If outdoors, it might be OK.  You might want to add a "cool down" requirement as mentioned above.  If indoors, I would deny the request due to fire hazard concerns.  It probably can be safe to do indoors since plumbers do it in plumbing installations, but I don't need to take that risk in my property.


Thank you all for replying. I already spoke to him and told him that I would have to jump through a lot of hoops like insurance and contacting the city and that his cost might go up also since it will increase my insurance cost. After all that he said it's OK and to forget about it since it's too much work to go through. I told him I can do it it's just that it's going to cost more on his end etc and he said no let's not. So I said "okay as you wish"  :) 

Putting the issue of having someone welding on your property aside, having a 220 outlet should not be expensive. I just had one installed with about 50 ft of wiring to my house meter for ~$200 (parts & labor) Just make sure you get a licensed electrician to do the job.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here