Low income rental blinds

8 Replies

I am remodeling a 4plex and am wondering if I should be the one to install blinds or just have the renters do it. I am leaning towards that's a landlord responsibility, but wanted a section opinion.

@James Conaway I would suggest providing blinds.  Otherwise you will have to patch holes when the tenant moves out and takes their blinds.  You can get cheap mini blinds at Home Depot and Lowes for less than $5 per window. They are easy to install and easy to replace.  

Also, if you dont supply blinds, be prepared for your tenants to use sheets to cover windows.  That is not something that I want with my properties.

Go ahead and install them yourself. They cost like $3

as @Mike Wood and @Rosston Smith mentioned, mini-blinds are inexpensive at wal-mart or box stores. Installing them yourself ensures the moundings around the windows don't get beat up, but that doesn't mean folks won't still hang sheets or towels from Windows. If you don't want that, prohibit it in your written lease. Also, they will get busted from time to time, and torn down, but that's the cost of doing business. Be careful to keep then cords shotened up where children are in the units.

Horizontal or Vertical more hard wearing for renters?

Regardless of what you do, low income tenants will put up blankets as drapes.  It is the weirdest thing, seems to be cultural.

Window coverings should be landlord provided. Imagine moving into a home where you have no way to have privacy on your first evening there.

I am a big proponent of the wide slat faux wood horizontal blinds.  They are more expensive, but they do not need to be replaced with each turnover.

I have an entire section in my lease concerning window coverings. I provide coverings for each window, which, if the tenant wishes to replace them, must be installed by me. Not them. Any additional hardware, etc. must be purchased by them. This ensures my drywall stays intact. 

There is also a provision detailing what cannot be used as a window covering: foil, cardboard, towels, shower curtains, throws, sheets, etc.  So far, one tenant did swap out the existing curtains for room-darkening ones, but that's it. Perhaps it's nit-picking to include that kind of clause in the agreement, but I think it's best for the tenants to know exactly what's expected going in.

Great insight guys/gals, thanks.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.