Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
John Mead
  • Investor
  • arlesey, bedfordshire
Votes |
Can a property management company put a lien on my property?

John Mead
  • Investor
  • arlesey, bedfordshire
Posted Oct 31 2016, 16:40

Hello all!  I'm looking for a little advice.  I've just terminated my property management company and now they are saying I owe them $500. Long story short, I've been told to pay up or they'll put a lien on my property.  They said I do not need me to live in the same state (or country) as them, they don't need an attorney, and they said because I gave them permission to do work via email that's all they need to place a lien on my property. I've just started digging through what I have and I have found one very recent invoice that I did not give permission for them to do. Another quote I agreed for them to do because they detailed what needed to be done.  The invoice for the quote states LESS work was done.  Between the quote and the works allegedly being carried out by the PMC I paid for a home inspection. The major 'repair' the PMC said needed doing did not actually exist, it was only a tiny repair. Since I terminated the PMC my tenant also confirmed that a smaller repair was done on something but the PMC told me in their quote more work was needed for that specific item. I just wanted to check - is the property management company correct in what they are threatening? Can they just run to a court and slap a lien on my property because I disagree with what they have charged? If they did run to a Court (which one is it likely to be?) and how would I get to know about any hearing that might happen? Or is it just a bullying tactic to try and pressure me into paying? Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

Loading replies...