• Investor
  • Tacoma, WA
Votes |
Garbage Law in Washington State

Randy Steele
  • Investor
  • Tacoma, WA
Posted Nov 2 2016, 09:14

A tenant provided notice that she is not renewing the lease and moving out, the building is a triplex, each tenant has separate entrances and parking areas. Her lease reflects that she will pay for garbage and electricity, it was signed in 2015. In addition the lease with the former building owner from 2014 states that she will pay for trash.

She is now asking for me to reimburse her for all her garbage bills for the term of the lease because she found a WA state law pertaining to trash service for multi-family properties. Here is the language of the law:

Except in the case of a single-family residence, provide and maintain appropriate receptacles in common areas for the removal of ashes, rubbish, and garbage, incidental to the occupancy and arrange for the reasonable and regular removal of such waste.

Has anyone in Washington state dealt with this law before? She is threatening to take me to court, and while the law appears clear that I'm supposed to arrange for trash it doesn't specifically state that I have to pay for the trash service. I had no idea this law existed.

Loading replies...