Votes
Radley Estrada
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Tenant's Son With Non-Violent Felonies Coming To Visit

Radley Estrada
  • Seattle, WA
Posted Nov 2 2016, 10:55

Hey everyone, I'd like to get some advice and opinions on this situation.

I have husband/wife tenants that are good tenants and are currently on a month-to-month lease.  They follow rules, pay rent on time, and have had no troubles with me or any of their neighbors.

The father says that their 20 something year old son had run-ins with the law when he was a teenager and is currently "getting his life together".  His crimes were petty drug offenses.  No violent felonies.

He asked if its ok for the son to visit from time to time.  Never to stay long term, but, to visit on the weekends.  The father feels if he can look over his son, he can help get his life straightened out. 

I appreciate the father's honesty and have no problem for the son to visit being that his crimes were minor.  If they requested the son to be on the lease, I would subject him to a full background check before approval.  

How would you handle this situation if it was your tenant? 

We can't background check tenant's guests, but, what would you do if a tenant brought in guests with known felonies?

Do your leases have stipulations on the type of guest that can visit? Is it legal?

Loading replies...