Landlord question - rekey for new tenants?

Landlord question - rekey for new tenants?

Real Estate Agent · Laguna Beach, CA · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 0 votes

Hello everyone,

Somewhat new to the landlord business and am looking forward to getting some feedback from more experienced professionals.  Recently a new applicant for one of our units asked if the landlord would rekey the front door and mailbox.  Is this customary, and should the landlord be expected to pay for the rekey service?  Thank you for your time!!

Sincerely,

Jason

0Reply
159 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
9y

ALWAYS rekey for new tenants. You avoid a lot of liability and in some states it may be mandatory. I have some SFR that take five double sets of locks and it costs me over $100 each time but what is the alternative? Have a previous bad actor tenant commit a sexual assault and be sued for ten million? REKEY each and EVERY time. Cheap insurance!

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 23 votes
    9y

    If they specifically requested it, do it and pay for it to make them feel warm and fuzzy.  In 14 years, I've never had anyone ask. 

  • Shawn AckermanPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Jason Cunningham I would definitely do it.  Save yourself the potential headache.

  • Jason CunninghamPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Laguna Beach, CA · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Thank you Jim + Shawn!

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Not a professional as a Landlord, but for the couple bucks I would do it.  As @Account Closed stated.., it would make them feel "warm and fuzzy."  Just make sure to tell them to pay it forward ;o)

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 238 posts · 204 votes
    9y

    @Jason Cunningham

    I definitely recommend rekeying the unit. Make sure to get it rekeyed (not new locks) to save

    yourself some money. The last thing you want is liability from that tenant: "Someone got into my place and stole a computer. Since you didn't rekey the place, someone else had a key / access to my property."

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    9y

    ALWAYS rekey for new tenants. You avoid a lot of liability and in some states it may be mandatory. I have some SFR that take five double sets of locks and it costs me over $100 each time but what is the alternative? Have a previous bad actor tenant commit a sexual assault and be sued for ten million? REKEY each and EVERY time. Cheap insurance!

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Dana Dunford:

    @Jason Cunningham

    I definitely recommend rekeying the unit. Make sure to get it rekeyed (not new locks) to save yourself some money.

     One would so think; however by the time you pay for the service call and the per-door rekey fees, it's FAR cheaper to just replace the lock AND you can do that for yourself.

    When I started as a LL, the insurance company asked "What's your policy on keys?"  I said that all keys were stamped DO NOT DUP and there was a $100 fee if the keys were not returned.  If and when there's a problem, I will revisit the question".

    In 19yrs, I've never been asked and most importantly, there's never been a problem.

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 238 posts · 204 votes
    9y

    @Jeff B. -- Agree that is a good approach (DO NOT DUP and track keys) if you already have that process in place. But if you do not, then rekeying is a good approach for this initial one. And, sometimes your time is more valuable than the cost of getting someone out to the property -- but of course, that's on a case-by-case basis.

  • Jason CunninghamPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Laguna Beach, CA · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    These are all great replies, folks!  Thank you!

  • Investor · Newtown Square, PA · Member since 2015 · 132 posts · 149 votes
    9y
    The day of our final walk through before a tenant moves in we ALWAYS rekey the locks. We use the quickset smart key which allows us to rekey a lock in about 10 seconds and costs nothing. I find it's just an additional selling point to tell people what we do and that they, and only us have an updated key and no contractors have access. It's just an extra security measure that makes people feel good and secure.
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 506 posts · 311 votes
    9y

    John T is absolutely correct.  Absolutely rekey every time and if you don't know the property code in your state, you should learn the requirements for locks first.

    In Texas they must be changed, the tenant must be able to exclude the landlord when home, and this applies to every exterior door.  Failure gives them the right to leave without prejudice or notice if this is not done within7 days of a move-in unless you can prove it was done at turnover.

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    buy an entry door set and when ever someone moves out replace with your extra. In other words when unit "O" moves out switch out that lock set with your new one then when the next tenant moves out, say in unit b you put unit "O" Lock set on unit b and so forth. Same for mail box keys. That way you are not constantly spending money just a little time to swap them out.  

  • Wilmington, DE · Member since 2016 · 116 posts · 59 votes
    9y

    I just bought an electronic deadbolt lock for my primary residence to try it out. They ranged from $50-120. I picked a medium/upper one since it was my primary residence and wanted to see how they are. They are AWESOME. I frickin love it.

    I never leave my house with a key now. Granted, I have the key to the deadbolt in the garage just in case the battery goes. I will probably be placing a few for tenants. Tenant can never get locked out now. 

    The one I got says "If you do 15 actions a day on the deadbolt, the batteries will last 1 year." Not too shabby.

  • Realtor · Minoa, NY · Member since 2015 · 125 posts · 56 votes
    9y
    Christos Philippou has it right. I use battery deadbolts for every unit now and change the combo for each tenant. They cost me $60 initially and maybe $5/yr in batteries after that. Just make sure the lock slides easily. Once I had a tenant lock themselves (and their small children) out because they had adjusted the door a little without telling me and the motor wasn't strong enough to open the lock.
  • Investor · Henderson, NC · Member since 2016 · 484 posts · 208 votes
    9y

    This is why I use the $12 knobs/deadbolts from Home Depot. I have probably 40 of them that I mix up randomly. I can swap one out in 2 minutes. I don't need to buy new ones anymore. There really is no reason to invest money in a higher quality lock, if somebody wants in they will either kick the door in or cut the bolt. I've had both happen. If not that then every house has windows.

    "Do not duplicate" is just a feel good phrase, and I see no reason to collect keys from ex tenants. Just assume they are keeping one. Anybody can buy a key cutting machine and make a duplicate. Or just be friends with the minimum wage guy at Home Depot cutting the keys.

    I also suspect the do it yourself key copy machine at Walmart doesn't bother to look for "do not duplicate" if you're just using a standard household size key blank.

  • Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2016 · 668 posts · 209 votes
    9y

    Agree to rekey every new tenant as I believe I never get all the keys back. Takes me an hour and $35 to remove all of the locks, take them to a locksmith for new keys, and reinstall. Yes, the house is wide open for an hour but it hasn't been a problem so far.

  • Contractor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 176 posts · 103 votes
    9y

    Like @Alan G. I use the Kwikset Smartkey.  Rekeying takes about a minute without having to remove anything off the door.

  • Portsmouth, NH · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Landlord for 20 years. Always rekey. The coolest thing I have found is the Smart key setup from Kwikset. You can rekey yourself in 20 seconds. I am installing them at all 26 of my units. 

  • Investor · Henderson, NC · Member since 2016 · 484 posts · 208 votes
    9y

    For anybody using Smart Key, I have a key for every house you have. It's as easy to use as your own key.

    See here:
    https://youtu.be/nF4wbyJ5uLk

    Remember, locks only keep out honest people unless you're going to install a special door and door jamb. Most household doors are laughably easy to force open.

    The best you can do is slow them down and make obvious sings of forced entry. If somebody opens your smart key lock without damaging anything, you'll be a suspect if anything goes missing.

  • Developer · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 904 votes
    9y
    We rekey if Kwikset or rotate the locks from a large batch used across various properties.
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 745 votes
    9y

    We just go with the Kwikset SmartKeys.  Its so fast to rekey the locks.  The cost is really cheap and its incredibly easy to do.

    I will say you have to follow the steps and be deliberate with the rekeying, or else you will end up with a lock that doesnt work for any key.  Just keep an extra lock set with you.

    Overall there is no need for a locksmith to rekey your doors.  The Kwikset Smartkeys are easy, fast, and end up saving you a ton of money.

    And yes you absolutely need to rekey between tenants.  In Texas its a state law.

  • New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 125 posts · 48 votes
    9y

    Required or not, I'd go ahead and do it.  It starts you off on a good foot with the tenant, and it lowers potential liability.  Who know who your former tenants gave keys out to?

    You may also want to look at an electronic keypad lock.  I bought one for my own house recently.  It was about $100, but you can get them for under $50.  Any time a tenant moves, you just change the code.  Plus, you never have to worry about a call at 2am because they locked themselves out.

  • Real Estate Agent/Property Management · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 827 votes
    9y

    Here in Texas the property code requires that you rekey the locks when the tenant changes.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    Curious door key is a given but do you rekey mailboxes? We don't even have keyed mailboxes. This tenant is requesting so maybe then but for those that habe the lockong mailboxes dp ypu routinuely rekey?

  • Julie MarquezPro Member
    Investor · Skagit County, WA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 807 votes
    9y

    Is NOT rekeying even an option? I would never put my new tenant in a home that has not been rekeyed, you never know about the previous tenant and how many duplicate keys they gave out. I am also a fan of the Kwikset SmartKey system. I prefer having a non-locking door knob, and keyed deadbolt to prevent tenant lockouts.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.