• Real Estate Broker
  • Naples, FL
Votes |
Enforce Your Leases To Minimize Problems

John Thedford#5 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Naples, FL
Posted Nov 5 2016, 11:03

Just checked the mail and there they were: rent checks ON TIME from previously "bad" tenants. My friend @Mindy Jensen had a post recently concerning what was a favorite lease clause landlords have. My response was the clause citing "additional rent due" in the event I have to go post any legal notice. I structure my leases with a built in discount for early payment. The lease may state an amount of $1200 due but if they pay early and it is postmarked by the 5th the tenant can take a discount. I have had problems the last 2-3 months with one particular tenant. Not only were they paying well after the 5th, but I was forced to go post a notice to pay or vacate. This resulted in the tenant having to pay "additional rent" of $150 each month ($75 loss to them in early payment discount and $75 for having to post to pay or vacate). The result? I received this tenants rent today. I have good relationships with my tenants BUT I enforce the leases. It makes a difference. After this "bad" tenant had to pay an additional rent of $300 I believe it got their attention. Don't enforce your lease and you are asking for problems. This does not mean you cannot give a great tenant a break. What it does mean is that tenants, like many people, will push the envelope as far as they can. I would MUCH rather have rents on time than chase people. It makes being a landlord much easier!

Loading replies...