Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Chris Mcgee
  • Durham, NC
Votes |
Dishwasher suggestions and recommendation needed?

Chris Mcgee
  • Durham, NC
Posted Nov 29 2016, 08:42

I have a new tenant in a town home rental property. 

The previous tenants were the absolute best, always paid on the 1st of the month and had very little complaints. The new tenants not so much.

I did some cosmetic work between tenants at the request of the new person, mostly painting but also replaced the kitchen and bathroom outlets with gfci to bring them up to code. Come to find out there was also a water restrictor on the water line severely impacting the water pressure to the house(one faucet could run at a time). I paid to have that removed and things appeared great or so I thought.

A short time afterwards there were additional complaints about debris(mostly sand) in the dishwasher. I cleaned it out and discovered that there was broken glass(looked like shards from a wine glass) as well as the plastic stickers that they put on new plates in the filter. I have cleaned it out several times since then including sucking it out with a small shop vac but the problem still persists.

This dishwasher is old so it's not worth having to pay to get it cleaned out really good so am looking at getting a replacement. I am about 100% convinced that the broken wine glass(previous tenants did not consume alcohol because of religious beliefs) is the current tenants fault but can't prove it. Playing devil's advocate the increased water pressure could have dislodged debris and sediment or maybe it pulled something in from the garbage disposal?

So should I foot the bill for the new dishwasher or split the cost? Sturdy, reliable dishwasher recommendations under $500? 
I looked online and they do not seem that difficult to install so will likely do it myself to save the $136. Any gotchas for swapping out a dishwasher that looks to be over 10 years old?

Loading replies...