multifamilies door lock systerm?

multifamilies door lock systerm?

Investor · Frederick, MD · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 11 votes

Hey BP,

I own a few small multifamilies and am now up to 14 doors.  At the moment, each unit has unique keys for the front and back doors.  So, I have about 30 keys, not including keys to side doors, basements, etc.  Right now, I am considering having a master key that will work in all doors and rekey as necessary at turn over.  This option seems expensive. Does anyone have experience with this?

Does anyone have another system they recommend for managing unit access?  I am open to suggestions!

0Reply
172 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe SplitrockPro Member
Moderator
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
9y

@Omer Ashkenazi I use the Kwikset Smartkey technology. You can get locks at any home improvement store. I only key the deadbolt and for the lever/knob I install a commercial grade non-locking handle. This prevents a tenant lock-out situation, because you need a key to lock the deadbolt. It also means I only need to rekey one lock per door. The other nice thing is that using a commercial knob means it will last longer. I have had plenty of cheap locks and knobs break over the years, so I pay for good stuff now. The Kwikset Smartkey takes 30 seconds to rekey and no locksmith. I don't rotate keys within a unit or even within my properties. I go to Home Depot or Lowes and ask them if they have left over keys from a rekey. They have a bucket of keys that are just left over from when they rekey for customers. They give me keys for free. I have ten sets of new keys waiting for future tenants. Another nice thing is you can rekey your properties for showing. Lets say you have five vacant properties, rekey them all to the same key. Then all your maintenance people or people showing the property can use one key to access all your empty properties. Since it only takes 30 seconds, it is easy to change at any time.

See this reply in the discussion

40 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Ogdensburg, WI · Member since 2016 · 273 posts · 351 votes
    9y

    Omer,

    I feel your pain. I have about 50lbs of keys lol. I am slowly moving towards a single master. It is expensive though. My lock smith suggested to just key the deadbolt and leave the knob as a passage to cut expense down. And instead of rekey I just rotate to elimante a future cost.

    Peter

  • Kim Meredith HamptonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Omer Ashkenazi I use Mr. ReKey, not sure if the franchise is in your area, but it is a master key system and is unblievable how great it is. I have almost 1000 doors and no longer have those big locked key boxes or 50 lbs of keys. If they are not in your area, find a locksmith for a master key system

  • Rich N.Pro Member
    Investor · Haverhill, MA · Member since 2015 · 761 posts · 328 votes
    9y

    @Omer Ashkenazi

    I am in the same boat.  I would like to master the keys too, but thinks to expensive too....and you have to continue with each new lock....yeck!


    I buy the twin double sets so that all 4 locks for the unit is the same key, then like @Peter B., I rotate the sets as the units re-leased with new tenants.  This way you save money and also only need one or two extra sets.  They are about $40 bucks for the twin double pack for the unit

    If you can afford it and want to go one step further, you can use the "smartkey" type locks so you do not have to physically change the locks. They are about $50 bucks for one set - $100 for the unit.

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Omer Ashkenazi

    Try www.landlordlocks.com

  • Investor · Frederick, MD · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    @Peter B. , @Kim Meredith Hampton , @Rich N., @David Krulac

    Thank you for your help! 

  • Investor · Frederick, MD · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    I think I found another option. Kwikset 816 series, you can have a master key and second key. When a tenant leave you can go to home depot or lowes and ask them to make a random key and rekey it.

    @Peter B., @Kim Meredith Hampton, @Rich N., @David Krulac

  • Rental Property Investor · Everywhere, USA · Member since 2012 · 689 posts · 525 votes
    9y
    Omer Ashkenazi as someone else mentioned check out landlordlocks.com Look at their MFS locks I upgraded my 24 units with locks from them. Super polite, and amazing customer service. Fast turn around on orders. All you have to do is change a core when a tenant moves out. I could change locks in 5 seconds, literally! They can also do custom jobs where a tenant has a key for their unit only but it is also works as a common access keys (for storage, pool, main entrance). They also sell special screws that are tamper resistant. This prevents a tenant from changing the lock on their own.
  • Investor · Frederick, MD · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    @Andrew Kerr

    I will check it out!

  • Rental Property Investor · Everywhere, USA · Member since 2012 · 689 posts · 525 votes
    9y

    https://landlordlocks.com/icore/

  • Rich N.Pro Member
    Investor · Haverhill, MA · Member since 2015 · 761 posts · 328 votes
    9y

    @Omer Ashkenazi

    I use the smartkey technology on the other models.  This 816 series looks promising.

    The answers for the 1-control cylinder for the master key sounds a bit confusing by other posters on home depot site.  Sounds like you have to some how rekey the lock for the master key, but it loc has to be done somehow.

  • Rich N.Pro Member
    Investor · Haverhill, MA · Member since 2015 · 761 posts · 328 votes
    9y

    I looked at landlordlocks, but they appear to require you to keep going back to them for additional cores.  I would like 816 series better (if it works).

  • Rich N.Pro Member
    Investor · Haverhill, MA · Member since 2015 · 761 posts · 328 votes
    9y

    not sure what kwikset response on HD website means:

    Kwikset Model # 816 15 SMT RCAL RCS features the SmartKey technology for a do it your self re-keying lock with all tenants keys will be different. All units would have to be master keyed individually.

    Also, this is only for the deadbolt and it is not offered in the knob.

  • Investor · Frederick, MD · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    @Rich N.

    I talk to kwickset, you can rekey the master so you will have one master to all door and get a rendom key every turn over. Home depot have a good video on there web site

  • Investor · Frederick, MD · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kwikset-816-Series-Single-Cylinder-Satin-Nickel-Key-Control-Deadbolt-Featuring-SmartKey-816-15-SMT-RCAL-RCS/202641720

  • Investor · Frederick, MD · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    I usually put a closet know and a deadbolt on my doors

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    9y

    @Omer Ashkenazi I use the Kwikset Smartkey technology. You can get locks at any home improvement store. I only key the deadbolt and for the lever/knob I install a commercial grade non-locking handle. This prevents a tenant lock-out situation, because you need a key to lock the deadbolt. It also means I only need to rekey one lock per door. The other nice thing is that using a commercial knob means it will last longer. I have had plenty of cheap locks and knobs break over the years, so I pay for good stuff now. The Kwikset Smartkey takes 30 seconds to rekey and no locksmith. I don't rotate keys within a unit or even within my properties. I go to Home Depot or Lowes and ask them if they have left over keys from a rekey. They have a bucket of keys that are just left over from when they rekey for customers. They give me keys for free. I have ten sets of new keys waiting for future tenants. Another nice thing is you can rekey your properties for showing. Lets say you have five vacant properties, rekey them all to the same key. Then all your maintenance people or people showing the property can use one key to access all your empty properties. Since it only takes 30 seconds, it is easy to change at any time.

  • Rich N.Pro Member
    Investor · Haverhill, MA · Member since 2015 · 761 posts · 328 votes
    9y

    @Omer Ashkenazi

    I think you found a winner.  More investigation is needed. Looking very promising.

    Please confirm my thoughts so others here can get a quick understanding if they are interested too.

    1. the 816 is only for deadbolt and not possible for the regular knob.
    2. it is has 2 cylinders. the bottom one is the standard lock with smartkey ability for us to change on the fly.
    3. this is best part - the second cylinder is hidden and on top of the standard one.  When you need access to a unit, you insert the kwikset special key and rotate the plate upward to expose that cylinder.  That's where you use the master key. 

    Note: the master cylinder is manufactured slightly different and a standard KW1 key will not work. You need a kwikset master key.  So initially, you will need to rekey all the locks to one master key.  Then you keep all the other master keys as spare ones in case in the future you need to rekey all the master keys because someone lost the master key!

  • Rich N.Pro Member
    Investor · Haverhill, MA · Member since 2015 · 761 posts · 328 votes
    9y

    @Omer Ashkenazi

    found one bad side.  The special master control key comes stamped "do not duplicate".  You need to purchase a special blank key to get duplicates.  Here is the bad part, HD can not duplicate this key, you MUST buy this Kwikset model # 40083 KW BLNK KCDB and have the key cut by Kwikset Consumer Service team by calling them.

    If you have multi owners or PMs, you have do this and are locked into kwikset company.

  • Architect · Papillion, NE · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 840 votes
    9y

    You will want a grand master key system with interchangeable cores.  Yes there is an upfront cost but its well worth your money.

    I just changed out my rental with the Kiwkset "smartkey" system with digital key pad.  I program a code for me and one for the tenant.  This allows me to rekey in minutes.  I only have one sfr.

    Just installed:

    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kwikset-SmartCode-909-Single-Cylinder-Satin-Nickel-Electronic-Deadbolt-Featuring-SmartKey-909-15-SMT-CP-SCR/205597290

    Another good option:

    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kwikset-SmartCode-Satin-Nickel-Electronic-Tustin-Lever-Featuring-SmartKey-911TNL-TRL-15-SMT-CP/205597285

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    9y

    As others have said, land lord locks is the way to go. It is a little painful up front to replace perfectly good locks,  but your time is valuable too! I hate being stuck outside a building going through keys trying to find the right one!!

  • Realtor · Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Omer Ashkenazi

    Great "problem" to have my friend :-)

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 293 posts · 175 votes
    9y

    Maybe after some more doors are picked up it would make sense to switch to an electronic system. The neighboring complex uses it and they can reset/change locks from an app. 

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Matthew Eakins:

    Hello everyone,

    The smart lock technology sounds like a great idea if it works. Unfortunately the lock as been known to be very easily manipulated with a pair of vice grips. This would ultimately place your tenants at risk. In fact the manufacture of this technology have been in law suits because of issues with this lock. I would love to speak with anyone who is interested in solution regarding master keys, key control or even electronic locks.

    Matthew Eakins

    To be fair you sell a competitive product to the Kwikset Smartlock and it is in your best interest if people don't buy a do-it-yourself lock.

    I don't work for Kwikset, but have used them for years. The original version was flaky with rekeying and apparently had some vulnerabilities. They released a new version that rekeys perfectly with improved security for bump protection. You can see on Youtube that the new version is much harder to pick.

    If you are claiming your lock is impenetrable, send one to the guys that like to break unbreakable things. In my experience a locksmith can get into most locks. On Youtube most every lock and safe has been opened. Of course kicking in a door is fast too and that is preferable to most thieves who are lazy.

    There is a rating system for security and the Kwickset are ANSI Grade 1. I encourage people to do their own research.

  • Dick RosenPro Member
    Property Manager · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 451 votes
    9y

    I use Landlordlocks.com and I love it. I have 2 keys in my pocket giving me access to over 100 properties in 2 states. It takes me about 10 seconds to change a core to give the next tenant a new key and yes I rotate the cores. Every lock in a unit is keyed with the same core. 

    I do not use locking doorknobs on entry doors, years ago a locksmith told me that they were the number one cause of kicked in doors. Tenants will lock the doorknob on their way out and forget their keys, then they kick the door in and report that someone has broken into their home. Since taking that advice in 2008, I have not had a single entry door kicked in ever.

    Regarding the Kwikset Smart Key system... a lock smith once showed me how easy it is to bump the lock open, they are not a secure lock system at all! 

  • Investor · Frederick, MD · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    Thank you everyone!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.