Yes or no on sprinklers on a rental?

Yes or no on sprinklers on a rental?

Arvada, CO · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 1 vote
Hello all, I own a single family home in the Denver area that I'm about to put on the rental market. I currently don't have sprinklers in the front or backyard. Looking for some guidance on if it would be worth the investment to install and maintain in hopes of a long term good looking yard.....or am I better off letting the renter water and hope they don't let it die? Both yards are fairly small. Any input is appreciated! Thanks, Cole
0Reply
141 views

Most Popular Reply

Bill S.Pro Member
Moderator
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y

@Cole Harter so you will never recover the cost of a sprinkler system. What it does allow is tenants that want a nice lawn to water and have a yard which looks good for the neighbors as well. In my experience, only about 1 in 10 tenants in the A/B areas will care for a yard with sprinklers. Of those, most won't if they have to drag the hoses. In B/C 1/100 will care for a yard. It's a huge waste of money for a sprinkler in those area. BTW it takes many years for a lawn to completely die here. In most cases if someone doesn't care for it and the next tenant does, then it will grow back pretty well. After 2 years of good care then you'll have a nice yard again. If I were to install a sprinkler I would only do it in the front.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Tomball, TX · Member since 2013 · 134 posts · 43 votes
    9y

    I've opted for no sprinklers and the tenants have done well taking care of the yard. To me it's just another item to maintain and for them to break. The one at my house has a broken head every now and then and I'm being careful. Just not worth the hassle.

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    We have two houses that came with sprinklers.  Tenants ran over heads in both of these mowing.  The water connections to them are now shut off.

    Gail

  • Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 24 votes
    9y

    Who will be paying the water bill? and you need to have it in the lease that they are responsible for maintaining the yard. 

    I had one SFR, the tenants paid water and were responsible for yard. I used to drive by and noticed the grass was getting brown. I called property manager to remind them of the yard. They had to cut expenses and stopped watering. They ended up moving out for other reasons.

    I have since installed sprinklers and hired a gardener to maintain the yard. I haven't had any issues since. Well worth it. 

    JC

  • Kim Meredith HamptonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Cole Harter If at all possible in my properties, I try and include lawn care and put a lock on the sprinkler box. This comes from having so many problems with people cutting off the water and letting the lawn die. I also make sure that I take lots of photos prior to occupancy and during inspections so that we keep up on how the lawn is or isn't being maintained. This helps when we need to a claim on security deposit at the end with no questions.

  • Specialist · Lakewood, CO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Cole Harter like any question on the type/amount of extras: what type of property and neighborhood are you in? If you are in C/B- I probably wouldn't bother. They are more concerned with having a functioning place and enough money for bills. If you are in B/A areas, then they may have the extra money to appreciate it, want a nice green lawn, pride of ownership, etc.

    If all the neighbors have it, it's probably fitting you do. If not, then not. I would make sure to have clauses regarding damage to the system vs. wear and tear just to make it clear to them that they must pay attention to it or pay for new heads.

  • Investor · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2015 · 409 posts · 214 votes
    9y

    how is your rental agreement set up?

    if you have a big tenant turn over or not?

    sometimes zero scape can save you a lot of headaches in the future

    enjoy

  • Investor · Evans, GA · Member since 2015 · 190 posts · 103 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Gail K.:

    We have two houses that came with sprinklers.  Tenants ran over heads in both of these mowing.  The water connections to them are now shut off.

    Gail

     Gail, I'm with you.  I just got notified of a $230 water bill charge from February on a (formerly) vacant rental...guess what caused that leak? That system will be cut off post-haste.  Not worth the hassle until I decide to sell to retail buyers.

  • Arvada, CO · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    9y
    Thanks for all the great responses! It's interesting that there is so many different opinions on this subject, lots of options to consider.
  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 919 posts · 911 votes
    9y

    No.  But I live in AZ.  I zeros cape ALL my yards and shut down the sprinklers.  ;-)

  • Shawn AckermanPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Cole Harter what are the numbers suggesting?  look at the cost of implementation vs. the returns.  so if the job costs $2K what return on your investment will you be receiving on that money?  If it is not adding any measurable value, I'd elect not to complete it.  If on the other hand is a commercial property 5 or more units and it's required then you have to do what you have to do.

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Cole Harter so you will never recover the cost of a sprinkler system. What it does allow is tenants that want a nice lawn to water and have a yard which looks good for the neighbors as well. In my experience, only about 1 in 10 tenants in the A/B areas will care for a yard with sprinklers. Of those, most won't if they have to drag the hoses. In B/C 1/100 will care for a yard. It's a huge waste of money for a sprinkler in those area. BTW it takes many years for a lawn to completely die here. In most cases if someone doesn't care for it and the next tenant does, then it will grow back pretty well. After 2 years of good care then you'll have a nice yard again. If I were to install a sprinkler I would only do it in the front.

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    What are you going to do with the property long term? Is it going to be a rental for the foreseeable future? If so, then I'd try to xeriscape it the best you can. You can ask renters to maintain it in the lease, but are you going to check on them monthly?

    I'd install the system along with new sod when you eventually go to sell the home. 

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    No sprinkler system would be my vote. keep it simple. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.