Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Rishi B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Smart/remote monitoring of outlet for sump pump?

Rishi B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Apr 6 2017, 11:49

Thanks in advance for your help!

Situation: Got water in the garden unit of a 3-flat investment property about a week ago, got a new cast iron 3/4 hp sump pump, confirmed that it worked.  Got more water yesterday, checked on sump pump today, unplugged/plugged it back in and it went for a straight hour, pumping everything that it should have been draining during the entire evening's storm.  Circuit didn't seem to trip, maybe it just stalled?  

Currently I have a Nest cam on it so if we get any rain, I can monitor it from my phone and listen in/watch to make sure it's starting.  This is a stopgap obviously, and for a permanent solution I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a device that connects to wifi that could monitor outlet-specific usage, so during a rainstorm I could check on my phone and be reassured that this specific outlet the pump is plugged into has been active for 20 minutes in the past hour, for example.  

Please relieve me of the constant running back and forth to the property and please help me stop wasting buckets of water i've been pouring down the drain to test the pump :)

Loading replies...