Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Tim Johnson
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
HELP - 24-hour eviction in Oklahoma (drugs/violence)

Tim Johnson
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Posted Apr 22 2017, 14:57

Have you ever taken advantage of OK state "immediate eviction" procedures for criminal activity, drug use, violence? What did that process look like for you? What was required? How long did it take?

OK Landlord-Tenant Act Section 132 states:

D. Any criminal activity that threatens the health, safety or right of peaceful enjoyment of the premises by other tenants committed by a tenant or by any member of the tenant’s household or any guest or other person under the tenant’s control or is a danger to the premises and any drug-related criminal activity on or near the premises by the tenant or by any member of the tenant’s household or any guest or other person under the tenant’s control shall be grounds for immediate termination of the lease.

First landlord nightmare experience is in the books. One roommate out of three tenants on a joint + several lease has descended into hardcore drug use, bringing domestic disturbances and unwanted guests as well as drug use on the property according to the other roommates. It all exploded this morning with a violent disturbance, front door kicked in, and tenant's guest threatened one of the other roommates with a knife. Cops were called, they were placed in cuffs, and yet somehow the tenant + guest were ultimately released due to conflicting testimony. Police report is expected by Tuesday.

I've never done an eviction before. Everything I am seeing online says that, in OK state, this type of behavior is grounds for immediate eviction with no more than 24 hours notice. The lease is joint + several so I am looking to evict the specific problem tenant and allow the others to stay.

What would you do?

Loading replies...