Neighborhood Marketing for Rental Prop.

Neighborhood Marketing for Rental Prop.

Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2008 · 45 posts · 1 vote

I have an available single family residence in a semi-rough part of town. There have been breakins in the area, as thiefs have stolen copper, AC units, etc... In order to get this property rented asap, I thought of going door to door in the neighborhood and delivering fliers marketing the property and offering a $100 referral bonus for placed tenant. My concern is that this may just be advertising a vacant property and act as motivation for would be criminals. Should I do this?

There is already a sign in the front yard advertising the property.

0Reply
29 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · North Carolina · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 483 votes
    16y

    While I don't use fliers I do offer $100 referral fee to neighbors and other of my tenants. A sign outside works best because those who see it know the neighborhood.

    In the meantime lock up the access door so thieves can't get to the copper easily. Put a cage around any A/C units. Install double-keyed deadbolts on the doors (illegal with tenants inside) but it makes it a little harder for thieves to remove stuff. Put a fake alarm system sign outside. Put a couple battery-operated motion sensor shrieker alarms inside. Ask the cops to patrol more frequently. And so on.

    Semi-rough neighborhoods aren't fun to manage but you are making really good cash-flow as compensation, right?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.