Votes
Phillip Limb
  • Fort Bragg, NC
Votes |
Need help ASAP please!

Phillip Limb
  • Fort Bragg, NC
Posted Apr 26 2017, 04:38

So here's my situation. Back in March my wife and I were looking for a home to sign a lease on and move into. We found a house that fit just about all our wants/needs so we decided to meet with the Realtor agent that the homeowner has hired to manage everything. Meeting with the agent and seeing the house, my wife and I decided we were going to go for it. We informed the agent that we have a cat currently and was looking into getting a puppy real soon, specifically asking if we should avoid a certain breed(s). The agent then told us that pets aren't an issue as they homeowners have two large dogs, we would just have to pay a pet fee on the cat and then on the dog whenever we got it. A couple days later (mid March) we met with the agent to sign the lease, pay $900 safety deposit and set a move in date for 1 May. Fast forward to this week, I called the agency and told them that I had gotten a puppy about a week and a half ago and was wondering what our pet fee would be, and they informed the homeowner. The homeowner then told the agents that we would not be authorized to have the pup. The agent told me wife that the homeowner was upset that we didn't request approval for a puppy but we in fact clearly communicated our intent with the agents prior to signing the lease. I feel like the realtors failed to communicate that to the homeowners back in March but there really isn't anything that proves that we even said we were looking to get a dog. So just a couple of days out from our projected move in date we were given an ultimatum of not moving in or getting rid of the pup that my wife and I have already grown attached to. I sent my 30 days notice to the realtors along with asking them to communicate to the homeowners to please reconsider but I feel like they won't as I'm sure the realtors won't own up to them failing to tell them I was going to get a pup in the very near future (back in March). 

I understand that because my conversation with the realtor agent was through word of mouth and them telling me that the homeowners would be fine with any dog was through word of mouth, that won't help me in any legal way. Is there any advice anyone can give me regarding my situation?

Loading replies...