credit checks, background checks? what website to use?

credit checks, background checks? what website to use?

Real Estate Investor · East Brunswick, , NJ · Member since 2008 · 58 posts · 1 vote

What is a fair priced website that gives out all the information you need to run credit checks and background checks?

has anyone had positive experinces with one over another?

mikey

0Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2009 · 6 posts · 3 votes
16y

Years later...Search around for your state's criminal and civil records website. Though they don't give credit scores, as a screening tactic they can reveal volumes about someone's past, and you can be looking up someone while you're talking to them. Here are some I've used, I think they are all free. Please add your state if you know it, :

Minnesota: http://pa.courts.state.mn.us/default.aspx

North Dakota: http://www.ndcourts.gov/publicsearch/contactsearch.aspx

Wisconsin: http://wcca.wicourts.gov/simpleCaseSearch.xsl;jsessionid=368B0DC7CFAB7FFBFB4A2F7DB4A14E68.render6

Indiana: http://mycase.in.gov/default.aspx

North Carolina: http://www1.aoc.state.nc.us/www/calendars/CriminalQuery.html

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Agent · OH · Member since 2008 · 553 posts · 24 votes
    20y

    I use NTNonline they have been fairly priced and you get quick service. As long as you have online access you can do a credit and eviction report in about 5 minutes on an individual for 12.50.

  • Member since 2008 · 30 posts · 1 vote
    20y

    I use http://www.landlord2landlord.com/ They're reasably priced; I can get a credit report for about $12.00, a little more to search eviction records and courthouse records. The turnaround time is just about instantaneous for online reports, and they do offer telephone verification of landlord and employment references if you're willing to pay a little more for it.

  • Member since 2009 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    16y

    Years later...Search around for your state's criminal and civil records website. Though they don't give credit scores, as a screening tactic they can reveal volumes about someone's past, and you can be looking up someone while you're talking to them. Here are some I've used, I think they are all free. Please add your state if you know it, :

    Minnesota: http://pa.courts.state.mn.us/default.aspx

    North Dakota: http://www.ndcourts.gov/publicsearch/contactsearch.aspx

    Wisconsin: http://wcca.wicourts.gov/simpleCaseSearch.xsl;jsessionid=368B0DC7CFAB7FFBFB4A2F7DB4A14E68.render6

    Indiana: http://mycase.in.gov/default.aspx

    North Carolina: http://www1.aoc.state.nc.us/www/calendars/CriminalQuery.html

  • Real Estate Investor · North Carolina · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 483 votes
    16y

    Thanks for the link, T Handy.

  • Member since 2009 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    16y

    I just used this one: https://rentalhunt.mysmartmove.com/ by transunion although I think it might have been pricier than some of the other ones listed here. I just liked how I didn't need to qualify to run a credit report because the tenant logs in and authorizes you to run their credit. They also give the option to have you pay, or the tenant can pay. I collected an application fee from the tenant and then just paid it myself.

    I ran TransUnion Credit and Criminal Background for $25. Again, seems more expensive, but they seem to run alot of databases.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    16y

    There is another thread active on this topic, so you might want to look there where I collected a number of BP threads together in one post:

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52/topics/40651-who-do-you-use-for-credit-and-background-checks-

  • Real Estate Investor · Tigard, OR · Member since 2009 · 38 posts · 1 vote
    16y

    if you have tenants who need credit repair HELP... here's the guy to contact.
    He's professional/certified

    David Rodriguez
    www.ConsumerCreditAuditors.com/pc
    www.ArbaFinancial.com

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    16y

    I'm planning to use ntonline. I haven't used them yet, but I spoke to them on the phone a few months ago and they seemed pretty helpful. They said they could exclude medical bill debt (for low income tenants) in their analysis, if you chose to do that. I believe they charge $40 or $50 per check, so it's advisable to charge that much for each adult tenant application.

  • OR · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 845 votes
    16y

    I use Kroll Factual Data. It's about $22 for the credit and criminal. Most of that is for criminal. I think the credit part is only about $9. I always run both.

    I have to go down to the county and run my own eviction. They aren't on line. I run (county wide) criminal while I am there. That's free and takes only a few seconds.

    The criminal seems to be quite good on Kroll. They pick up things that the applicant claims was expunged.

    I get an easy to read and complete credit report, so I can see exactly what the problem is and whether or not it is something I count or ignore. As far as I can see, credit scores without the report are totally worthless.

    They do require the office inspection and they do insist upon good security for the data they deliver.

  • OR · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 845 votes
    16y

    By the way, a quick warning. I've had a call from a tenant screening service and all they wanted to know was if the tenant had paid the rent without any 10 day lates.

    I tried to telll him about some really serious issues I'd had with that tenant, but he cut me off and said all he wanted to know was whether the rent had been paid or not.

    I felt sorry for whatever landlord was going to get stuck with that tenant because the screening service set such low standards.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Irvine, CA · Member since 2009 · 102 posts · 24 votes
    16y

    Thanks for the tip, P NW. That's a pretty sweet deal for both criminal and credit.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    16y

    Don't forget that BiggerPockets has partnered with TransUnion to offer a fantastic tenant screening platform that is fast, easy, inexpensive, and secure.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Irvine, CA · Member since 2009 · 102 posts · 24 votes
    16y

    Even better!

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    16y

    Thanks Hazel! We've already had dozens of people sign up and the response has been great!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Irvine, CA · Member since 2009 · 102 posts · 24 votes
    16y

    Now if only BP could have an investor screening platform as well, it totally would make my day...

  • Investor · Folsom, CA · Member since 2010 · 85 posts · 9 votes
    14y

    How about for a private promissory note holder like me, who only needs to check credit and report late payments to all 3 credit bureaus ? And who only needs to do the above about once a year. Is there a service without setup fee, that still offers reasonable one time prices ?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.