Self cleaning vs manual clean oven for rental property

Self cleaning vs manual clean oven for rental property

Investor · Lutz, FL · Member since 2016 · 66 posts · 17 votes

I have to replace stove/oven in a rental and debating between self clean oven (which typically will cost $100 more) vs manual clean oven. I plan to keep the rental for long term so not that concerned about cost but more concerned about tenants not using the self clean feature safely even after education or spraying inside with chemicals. The lease specifies that tenants are responsible for move out professional clean when they leave, so cleaning company will take care of the oven cleaning. Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts. Ally

0Reply
82 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Juneau, AK · Member since 2015 · 980 posts · 741 votes
9y

My two cents on appliances: the simpler the better. If it can be broken, it probably will be broken. In fact, I had a tenant try to do the self cleaning and (you guessed it) broke the oven. The road to broken appliances is paved with good intentions.

Plain, durable, fewest moving parts possible--that is my rule of thumb for rental appliances.

If you have higher end tenants, then you may want something with a bit more bells or whistles. But mid level, working class, or lower income--I would keep it simple....

If you have to do the cleaning, good old fashioned oven cleaner is not that hard in my opinion (I like the spray in and leave over night directions on most over the counter products; just wipes up the next day). 

Another oven tip: You can get new drip pans if needed at any tenant turn overs, and there is a white, black and almond epoxy appliance touch up for any chips or dents (in a nail polish like applicator). It will be like new for the next tenant! 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Juneau, AK · Member since 2015 · 980 posts · 741 votes
    9y

    My two cents on appliances: the simpler the better. If it can be broken, it probably will be broken. In fact, I had a tenant try to do the self cleaning and (you guessed it) broke the oven. The road to broken appliances is paved with good intentions.

    Plain, durable, fewest moving parts possible--that is my rule of thumb for rental appliances.

    If you have higher end tenants, then you may want something with a bit more bells or whistles. But mid level, working class, or lower income--I would keep it simple....

    If you have to do the cleaning, good old fashioned oven cleaner is not that hard in my opinion (I like the spray in and leave over night directions on most over the counter products; just wipes up the next day). 

    Another oven tip: You can get new drip pans if needed at any tenant turn overs, and there is a white, black and almond epoxy appliance touch up for any chips or dents (in a nail polish like applicator). It will be like new for the next tenant! 

  • Investor · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 606 posts · 699 votes
    9y

    Have you ever cleaned a non-self cleaning oven?   Toxic lye based chemicals and HOURS of scrubbing.   I doubt the average cleaning service would be willing to do it, and, if they do, you will pay dearly for their work.  With a self cleaning oven, you set the oven racks to soak in the bathtub, set the oven to "clean" and do other tasks for 4 hours.  Wipe out the ash with a damp sponge.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ocala, FL · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 140 votes
    9y

    I have cleaned a non-self cleaning oven using a product called Ultra-Ion Green.  It worked great and was non toxic.

    In rentals, it seems like a simple appliance, with less things to break, is the way to go.

    My wife's washing machine is complicated to me with many colored lights on the panel.  I guess I am a simple guy, and don't see a need to complicate things.  

  • Investor · Clifton, NJ · Member since 2017 · 53 posts · 54 votes
    9y
    I repair ovens for a living. The high temps from self clean dry circuit boards. Consider that as well.
  • Investor · Edwardsville, IL · Member since 2015 · 432 posts · 481 votes
    9y
    The only time a tenant may use the self cleaning feature is during moveout. If there is too much grease buildup it could start a fire! I go with the simple ovens for my rentals.
  • Investor · Lutz, FL · Member since 2016 · 66 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    Thank you all for valuable advice. I can always count on BP community for guidance and knowledge/experience sharing.

  • Investor · Tyler, TX · Member since 2019 · 32 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    Coil top or glass surface? Seems like all the reviews on the glass-top units say they crack or chip, or scratch...

    I can't see renters taking very good care of them.  

    My current rental unit has appliances that are now at least 10 years old...I think they're turning off prospective tenants...so time to upgrade, but I'd like to get another 10 years from the next set. 

    Are there any better brands that anyone recommends.

    Thanks, 

    Mike 


  • Bill ZimmermannPro Member
    Sheboygan, WI · Member since 2012 · 10 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    Mike, Depending on the class of rental, I would leave them be, just give them a good cleaning.  They don't make them like they used to.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.