TurboTenant Reviews anyone?

TurboTenant Reviews anyone?

Real Estate Agent · Denham Springs, LA · Member since 2017 · 226 posts · 159 votes

I'm getting closer and closer to owning my first rental property and I'm scrambling to figure out how I'm going to accept applications, collect rents, etc....  I'm looking through their website, and TurboTenant seems like a pretty good service.  Has anyone had any experience using their service?  

1Reply
207 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2017 · 54 posts · 44 votes
9y

As I don't have many properties, I tend to piecemeal my management.

1.  I advertise through Zillow Rental Manager and Craigslist.  Hits all the major sites and I've never had a problem finding potential tenants.

2.  I still use paper (or online fillable pdf) applications because I like to have some specific questions that I feel are important and most of the online services don't allow customization of their applications.

3.  I use SmartMove for background checks.

4.  I use cozy.co or some other free (to both me and the tenant) electronic method to collect rent.

The idea is to keep this process free and easy for the tenant.  I want as much of the tenant's money as possible to be focused on paying their deposit and full rent on time.  That's why I don't charge an application fee and try to find free electronic methods of payment.  The only thing the tenant gets charged for is the background check, which is done when we've pretty much settled on them as the best candidate.

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ormond Beach , FL · Member since 2015 · 345 posts · 223 votes
    9y

    Yes, I've used them 2 or 3 times with good results. Give it a try.

  • Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2017 · 169 posts · 119 votes
    9y

    Feel free to shoot us any questions you have. We're happy to help in any way we can. 

  • Investor · Cathedral City, CA · Member since 2014 · 481 posts · 170 votes
    9y

    Does Turbo Tenant ask for your credit card?

  • Real Estate Agent · Denham Springs, LA · Member since 2017 · 226 posts · 159 votes
    9y

    It hasn't asked me for  one.  I'm going to have to enter my checking account info to accept on-line rent payments, but it appears completely free to the landlord.  

  • Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2017 · 169 posts · 119 votes
    9y

    You will not be asked for your CC. Like @Shaun R. mentioned, if you decide to accept online payments you'll connect your bank account information but there is no charge to landlords and money is directly transferred from tenants to landlords, there is no holding account. Let us know if you have any other questions, happy to answer them!

  • Rental Property Investor · Palm Bay, FL · Member since 2009 · 511 posts · 290 votes
    9y

    @Paul Ronto - Thanks for the information.  Since there is no holding account, how long does it take for the payment to go from the tenants account to my account?

  • Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2017 · 169 posts · 119 votes
    9y

    @Priscilla Z. 2 days. Feel free to reach out directly if you have questions, I'd be happy to chat. 

  • Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2017 · 54 posts · 44 votes
    9y

    As I don't have many properties, I tend to piecemeal my management.

    1.  I advertise through Zillow Rental Manager and Craigslist.  Hits all the major sites and I've never had a problem finding potential tenants.

    2.  I still use paper (or online fillable pdf) applications because I like to have some specific questions that I feel are important and most of the online services don't allow customization of their applications.

    3.  I use SmartMove for background checks.

    4.  I use cozy.co or some other free (to both me and the tenant) electronic method to collect rent.

    The idea is to keep this process free and easy for the tenant.  I want as much of the tenant's money as possible to be focused on paying their deposit and full rent on time.  That's why I don't charge an application fee and try to find free electronic methods of payment.  The only thing the tenant gets charged for is the background check, which is done when we've pretty much settled on them as the best candidate.

  • Rental Property Investor · Palm Bay, FL · Member since 2009 · 511 posts · 290 votes
    9y

    Thanks for your reply  @Paul Ronto :)

  • Realtor · Nolensville, TN · Member since 2016 · 94 posts · 29 votes
    9y
    I literally do the same as @CJ Ashton does. mysmartmove.com is a great tool and it's from a company most people know, Trans Union. Also, I tried using Turbotenant to post my property online. It's not that it was bad but just felt more comfortable with Zillow Rental Manager. One reason being you can type more in the description. Another reason, and maybe it says this somewhere and I just never found it, but I couldn't figure out where exactly Turbotenant was posting my property. Zillow Rental Manager is more clear about that. cozy.co is the only sure I've found where rent payment is free for ACH transactions.
  • Real Estate Agent · Denham Springs, LA · Member since 2017 · 226 posts · 159 votes
    9y
    John Anderson I actually submitted that question to their website this morning to find out if there is a fee for the tenant.
  • Real Estate Agent · Denham Springs, LA · Member since 2017 · 226 posts · 159 votes
    9y
    I got the answer back yesterday from turbotenant. There is a 2.5% processing fee for the tenant.
  • Real Estate Agent · Denham Springs, LA · Member since 2017 · 226 posts · 159 votes
    9y
    Paul Ronto Does the landlord have the option to pay the processing fee?
  • Commercial Real Estate Broker · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2015 · 308 posts · 151 votes
    9y

    Hi, just to clarify, it's not 2.5% (That would be a $25 charge on a $1000 payment).

    The charge is $2.50.  This is added to the payment amount.  The fee can either be paid by the tenant or the landlord (e.g. tenant could make a 997.50 payment, then get charged $1000.  Landlord would receive 997.50).

    There are not setup fees or monthly fees to either landlord or tenant.

    Payments get transferred in 2 business days.

  • Real Estate Agent · Denham Springs, LA · Member since 2017 · 226 posts · 159 votes
    9y
    Correct Sarnen Steinbarth I should have waited until I was fully awake this morning to post. I did mean $2.50.
  • Commercial Real Estate Broker · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2015 · 308 posts · 151 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Shaun R.:

    Correct Sarnen Steinbarth I should have waited until I was fully awake this morning to post. I did mean $2.50.

     Great.  Just wanted to clarify if there was a misunderstanding.

  • Rental Property Investor · Palm Bay, FL · Member since 2009 · 511 posts · 290 votes
    9y

    I'm with @Keith Smith and @CJ Ashton with my setup...yet I feel like it's a patchwork quilt and I was looking for a one stop shop kind of place... do any of you have an online portal for the tenants to submit maintenance requests/complaints?  And @Sarnen Steinbarth is that something that turbotenant offers?

  • Commercial Real Estate Broker · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2015 · 308 posts · 151 votes
    9y

    @Priscilla Z.

    Unfortunately we do not currently have that feature, though it is something we've considered.

  • Fairhope, AL · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Does TurboTenant give the tenant the option to create a universal lease application or review other properties for lease when they sign into their portal?

  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2017 · 273 posts · 91 votes
    8y

    Hi @Kyle Williams, 

    I work with TurboTenant. I will reach out to you directly to see if I can get your questions answered. 

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    I don't usually post comments but I know they are so helpful when you are looking for a service provider. All I can say is Turbo tenant has been awesome! There was a service I was using prior to them and it was an awful experience! I won't mention any names but they took forever to get back with me and their customer service was numb to say the least. Turbo tenant has been great so far! I've had a few questions and starting up and they answered my email within minutes, love it!

  • Specialist · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2018 · 557 posts · 191 votes
    7y

    @Maria L Zachrau I work for TurboTenant and wanted to thank you for your feedback! We take great customer service very seriously here and are so happy to hear you've had a good experience using our software. Feel free to PM me if you ever have any questions or concerns regarding TurboTenant! :)

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Katie Stewart, (tt)

    I can't say or thank you guys enough. (Turbo Tenant) I truly feel you guys gently helped me unwind my ball of nerves and with your note above, your company has obviously hired some awesome employees. - I barely heard from the previous company this morning and they didn't even address my woes, completely numb.  Again, I appreciate your great service and look forward to using your service in the future. 

    Maria L Zachrau

  • Rental Property Investor · Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 6 votes
    7y
    @Katie Stewart can Tenant under pay or overpay or is payment amount set by landlord?
  • Specialist · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2018 · 557 posts · 191 votes
    7y

    @Alfonso Aguilar Unfortunately, we don't offer rent payments through our site anymore! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about TurboTenant :) 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.