Votes
Brad Garcia
  • Moorhead, MN
Votes |
Add new Tenant/Roomate that was just evicted

Brad Garcia
  • Moorhead, MN
Posted Aug 3 2017, 20:29

I have a tenant that wants to add a "relative" to his lease because his current roommate is moving out. We require that any new tenants be added to the lease and conduct a background/credit check to see who is living in our buildings. 

So I find out the "relative" was evicted about 45 days ago with a detainer to the previous landlord. Already the relative appears to have moved in. 

Not to shake things up but the the current tenant has been paying their rent, but when the vacating tenant finally leaves, it seems to be a big unknown if the remaining tenant and his new relative will be credible of paying next month's rent. Why should I add a tenant to a lease that was just evicted? Luckily, they are month to month and the vacating tenant will be leaving at the end of the month when the month lease is up. 

My big question is- do I deny the relative to stay in the property and issue a notice that the two tenants are violating their lease- which may be grounds for eviction.

-or-

Don't worry about the situation and simply not renew the lease at the end of the month, forcing everyone in the apartment to leave.

Loading replies...