Radical anti landlord bill proposed. - Baltimore

Radical anti landlord bill proposed. - Baltimore

Ned CareyPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes

Imagine someone is late on the rent. You do what any rational landlord would do and file for eviction. 

But wait,    .    .    .     you can't file for eviction.    You have to Pay for mediation between you and the tenant.

It sounds like a dream gone bad. But it is not a dream, it is a very real bill the Baltimore city council has proposed. It will

  • Essentially delay all evictions 10 days, (Currently already takes about 2 months)
  • Require YOU the landlord to pay for mediation before you can file for eviction. 
  • Require you to register all members of your entity with phone numbers and email addresses. Anyone with as little as 3% interest in a company will have their privacy exposed. 

go to this link for more information

http://rentcourtmanager.diyrealty.co/blog/baltimore-city-bill-17-0013-landlords

If you have rentals in Baltimore, please sign the petition on the page linked to above. 

If you are from anywhere else get involved. Silly laws are coming to a city, county or state near you.

2Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
9y
Mediation is an absurd notion in this circumstance. One party has decided not adhere to their agreement. Tenant is stealing, filing is theft prevention. The tenant can mediate the eviction by paying the rent. The mediation offer is on the table. What is the intention of a second mediation? To convince a landlord to not evict for non-payment? Pass. I will charge every tenant a double deposit at move in if this happens. Cant wait to watch these tenant try to come up with it.
See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    Hey Ned I was in your fair city last Tuesday looking at things... talk about never ending inventory.. row after row of row house's LOL.... Mediation may be a good thing if the mediators are half way decent it could prevent an eviction hearing.. IE cash for keys on the spot.. mediator talks sense into them ...

    Just saying you know your tenants better than I do of course.. but I have had good luck over the years when I have had business disputes mediated..

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    Thanks, that is an interesting perspective @Jay Hinrichs I wish I knew you were n town. I would have loved to connect.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Ned Carey  the mandatory mediation process in the mortgage foreclosure industry has really worked.. ONE OF THE FEW THINGS that work with Dood Frank... just trying to look at the bright side.

    I saw some pretty tough neighborhoods  were whole blocks of row houses sat gutted and such.. them your B areas and nicer.... I had lunch down on the water at the hotel built by the Under Armour company.... Rents seem strong there price points a little higher than in some areas for the same BCD inventory I fund.. But we were looking at tidy little streets with pride of ownership.. at least the row houses I walked through.. although you seen one of those you have seen them all.

    I like the fact that the roofs are small.. only front and back wall to worry about.. and tenant base seems not to need a over the top reno to rent... I can see the cash flow play there and other row house cities..

    Its a little tough for me to fathom living like that being a kid from the burbs.. but hey it is what they are accustomed to.

    Back to mediation... maybe you can have some input into how aggressive the mediators will be in coming to a decision at mediation.. and signing stipulated agreements that if violated are automatically become enforceable..

    Like I said unless the mediators are just trying to keep tenants in the homes. ( and that totally is not the case with the mortgage mediations I have sat through).. this could actually help you and unclog the court system.  In the mortgage mediations I have been through or around they all got worked out.. and they gave you a path. you failed on the path and your house went right to foreclosure no passing go or anything else.. only thing stop it would be BK.

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
    9y
    Mediation is an absurd notion in this circumstance. One party has decided not adhere to their agreement. Tenant is stealing, filing is theft prevention. The tenant can mediate the eviction by paying the rent. The mediation offer is on the table. What is the intention of a second mediation? To convince a landlord to not evict for non-payment? Pass. I will charge every tenant a double deposit at move in if this happens. Cant wait to watch these tenant try to come up with it.
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 732 votes
    9y
    Ned Carey it seems there are several cities that are proposing new laws that aren't necessarily good for landlords or for business owners . There was a recent BP thread on a proposed law in Seattle that will ban criminal background checks https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52/topics/475472-seattles-latest-insanity-ban-criminal-background-checks I know in Los Angeles they are thinking of how they can "expand" rent control to apply to more buildings . It currently applies to multi family buildings built prior to October 1978, but that already covers a lot of buildings. The mayor recently called on citizens to contact their state legislators to expand rent control http://abc7.com/politics/la-mayor-calls-on-ca-to-modify-rent-control/2264498/ More requirements for developers being proposed to have them set aside more affordable housing as well . Time will tell what happens with all these laws . It seems usually once one city adopts a new law others jump on the bandwagon . I noticed this with the $15 hr min wage law. Seattle did it . Then L.A had to do it , then NYC ,etc . All these local economies are different of course. What might make sense in one city would necessarily work in another . Hope it doesn't negatively affect your business in Baltimore .
  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Ned Carey Can you collect "mediation" deposit? hehe.
  • Ozzy SirimsiBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 782 votes
    9y
    I already signed the petition, this bill is a very bad idea.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.