What do you charge for cleaning upon move out?

11 Replies

Do you charge for small cleaning items, like windows weren't cleaned, oven needed a quick cleaning and kitchen cabinets needed wiped out?  It probably took an hour to clean up, not even sure if it's worth a charge.  

Does anyone have a good list of charges for individual items?  I had one I used to use but my computer crashed recently.

Based off my experience working turnover at a large apartment complex, we assessed cleaning damages two ways. If you could quickly clean the room in 5-10 minutes or less, there was no charge.  If we could quickly look at the room and see more than 5-10 minutes worth of cleaning, there were cleaning charges, because at that point we'd hire someone to clean the area. 

I'm sure I'm an outlier but I would have it professionally cleaned between tenants as a matter of course, and wouldn't charge unless they left it pretty bad.  As a tenant I would not want to move in to anything that hadn't been deep cleaned since the prior tenant. 5-10 minutes?  Gross. 

My PM company had a maid service come in for $130 for cleaning a 2 bed 1 ba. I tried cleaning it myself, but I did not get the same results the maids did...for $130 I'm probably not going to bother trying to clean again, ever.

I agree with @Walt Dockery . I would only charge if the apartment was dirty beyond a reasonable amount. Also, as a renter I would expect to be moving in to a clean apartment. I can't imagine any renter leaves it clean enough to move in a renter right behind without decent cleaning it unless you had a diligent renter that paid for a cleaning.

You could add a clause in your lease stating a charge for cleaning upon move out if you insist that the renter cover the expense. I've been in a few that required professional carpet cleaning upon move out - either show proof of the cleaning with receipt or they would charge you the fee for them to hire it out.

Cleaning
Cleanrefrigerator $25.00
Cleanstovetop $10.00
Cleanoven $30.00
Cleankitchencabinets $30.00
Cleankitchenfloor $25.00
Clean kitchen countertops $15.00
Cleantub/showersurround $30.00
Clean sink $15.00
Cleantoilet $20.00
Cleanbathroomcabinets&floor $20.00
Window cleaning (per window) $10.00
Vacuum/sweepthroughdwelling $40.00
Flooring
Repaircarpet $85.00
Repairhardwood/laminatefloor $100.00
Replacelinoleum $6/sq. ft.
Replacefloortile $75.00 ea.
Walls
Remove/treatmildew (per surface) $15.00
Repairholeinwall $55.00
Repaint(perwall/ceiling) $30.00
Doors
Replacedoor(inside) $165.00
Replacedoor(outside) $485.00
Electrical
Replacelightbulb $3.00
Replacelightfixtureglobe $20.00
Replacelightfixture $65.00
Replaceelectricaloutlet/switch $15.00
Replaceelectricalcoverplate $2.00

Plumbing
Replacekitchenfaucet $150.00
Replacebathroomfaucet $105.00
Replacefaucethandle $20.00
Replacefaucetaerator $10.50
Replaceshowerhead $27.00
Replacetoilet $175.00
Replace toilet seat $25.00
Locks
Replacekey(doorormailbox) $10.00
Replacecylindricaldoorlock $35.00
Replacedeadboltlock $25.00
WindowsandWindowCoverings
Replacewindowpane(sgl) $75.00
Replacewindowpane(dbl) $125.00
Replaceminiblind $20.00
Rescreenwindowscreen $25.00
Replace window screen and frame $50.00
Miscellaneous
Replacerefrigeratorshelf $25.00
Replacestove/ovenknob $20.00
Replaceplasticcountertop $275.00
Replacemirror $45.00
Replacemedicinecabinet $75.00
Replacetowelbar $25.00
Replaceshowercurtainrod $25.00
Replace shower curtain & rings $13.00
Replaceshower/tubenclosure $350.00
Replacethermostat $80.00
Replacefireextinguisher $30.00
Removejunkanddebris (per area) $35.00
Replacesmokedetector $15.00
Replacecombodetector/alarm $40.00
Replace alarm battery(perbattery) $2.00
Replace drop ceiling tile $10.00
Replace wireless doorbell $35.00
Actual charges may vary based on condition and/or vendor bill. Costs for repairs & cleaning are billed at $25/hour plus materials & supplies.
In signing this document I (we) agree upon and accept the above charges upon move-out.

Date Executed: _______________ Date Executed: ________________
Tenant Signature(s): Landlord or Property Manager Signature:____________________________ ______________________________________________________________

We provide a professionally cleaned unit when the tenant moves in. If it requires anything barely beyond a broom sweep and light dust we have cleaners come back in and finish the job at the tenant's cost. 

Originally posted by @JD Martin :

We provide a professionally cleaned unit when the tenant moves in. If it requires anything barely beyond a broom sweep and light dust we have cleaners come back in and finish the job at the tenant's cost. 

If all it takes is a quick broom sweep ... then do you just do that and not provide the next tenant "a professionally cleaned unit"?  Or do you have it professionally cleaned anyway?

Originally posted by @Walt Dockery :
Originally posted by @Jd Martin:

If all it takes is a quick broom sweep ... then do you just do that and not provide the next tenant "a professionally cleaned unit"?  Or do you have it professionally cleaned anyway?

Believe it or not, some tenants actually leave the unit in a pristine state. Others hire their own cleaners to come in. We have a checklist we provide to tenants who are preparing to move out that we use to determine readiness at turnover. 

Originally posted by @JD Martin :
Originally posted by @Walt Dockery:
Originally posted by @Jd Martin:

Believe it or not, some tenants actually leave the unit in a pristine state. Others hire their own cleaners to come in. We have a checklist we provide to tenants who are preparing to move out that we use to determine readiness at turnover. 

I don't really consider a tenant leaving it acceptably "broom clean" at move out the same as a professional deep clean. I'd have it professionally cleaned in between either way, and would expect as much if I were a renter moving in. 

Your lease should state that tenants leave the unit in the state in which it was delivered. The move-out instructions you mail after they give notice should itemize, like apartments do, or state $150 for hiring a cleaning service if needed. Normal wear and tear excepted. Many nowadays write into the lease that professional cleaning is required with receipt...my daughters campus condo did. I expect to spackle nail holes and wipe down counters and cabinets to make sure they are "double" clean, but I am local. I would do that after professionals too, to be sure.