General Landlording & Rental Properties
Account Closed
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Additional charges after moving out

Account Closed
  • San Antonio, TX
Posted Aug 26 2017, 23:16

hi - after moving out the apartment manager had sent final account statement with additional charges of $1059 for replacing kitchen counter tops, saying they were damaged due to excessive water (my negligence or not is altogether different topic); i've asked for pictures of replacement, he said he can send the pics but they will show granite counter tops (i've lived and moved out of a laminate kitchen counter top unit) - he said i am being charged only a part of the granite install cost, for the amount of what a laminate replacement would have costed; he doesn't agree to my point that if i am asked to pay, it can only be when they were laminated again, to bring the apartment to state i moved-in...

i think this is unethical for following reasons

1) I am being asked to pay for a work that was not done; the amount i have to pay is going into improving the unit (increasing its rental value)

2) in a perfect scenario the unit should be brought to move-in state (lamniate) i should be charged with the exact amount and later a decision should be made to upgrade or remodel the apartment with apartment management's own money

3) when i complained about counter tops during my stay, the management gave granite counter top option and said replacing the counter tops (which basically is upgrading the unit like other units in apartment complex fetching higher rent) will increase the rent by somewhat close to 110$ and if i terminate the lease i dont need to pay for granite replacement; I decided to terminate the lease and move out, the unit was upgraded after i moved out and am still being charged to cover a portion of the upgrade costs (granite counter tops)...

4) have complained about the faucet leaking to previous management many times, no one showed up to fix and i had to put temporary fixes myself; the previous management was worse; when i complained again to the new management they asked for a reference number which i donot have as all complaints were made in leasing office verbally; the new management said, they checked in the system and dont see any complaints related to faucet leaking - anyway as i dont have proof of complaint, had to remain silent; infact they got to know about the problem after i complained, not when they checked after moving out (so not sure if i was negligent)

is it fair to upgrade the unit (increasing its rental value) and ask me to pay a part the costs? can i dispute these additional charges?

Loading replies...