• Software Dev/Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Tenant disputes move out charges

Don Jackson
  • Software Dev/Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Posted Aug 31 2017, 10:53

This is a first for me. I hope some of my more seasoned BP friends can shed some light.

My SFR is managed by a property manager. The tenant recently moved out. They had $1,050 on deposit.

The property manager did an inspection and then prepared a letter to the tenant detailing all of the charges to be taken out of their deposit. The charges were more than their deposit so they were sent a bill.

I received a letter from an attorney demanding that the entire amount be returned to the ex-tenant. He threatened a lawsuit.

When I look through the list of charges, I am a little disturbed.

$100 to replace the furnace filters

$200 for gutter cleaning

$150 to change the locks

$50 Move out inspection fee

$200 Cleaning fee

$150 Floor cleaning

The list goes on. One large amount is for an unpaid water bill. I understand the tenant needs to pay for that, but I'm not sure if the tenant should have to pay for all of these other fees.

I understand that if the tenant doesn't pay out of their deposit, then I have to pay these fees.

I have two questions:

1) Is it standard for a property manager to charge all of these fees upon move out? Should I try to negotiate some of these fees with them? If they don't charge the tenant, then I end up paying for them.

2) How should I approach the ex-tenant? I thought I could write them a letter saying that I will split some of the costs with them and give them part of their deposit back. (the attorney stated in his letter that I should reply directly to the tenant and not go through the attorney) 

My goal is to avoid a lawsuit, but I don't want to just roll over and pay all of these fees myself.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Loading replies...