Tenant wants to use agent for lease renewal

Tenant wants to use agent for lease renewal

Real Estate Professional · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hi. I am a landlord of a mixed-use property out in California. Currently I have a tenant in a retail space that is up for a lease renewal. The tenant wants to use a real estate agent to negotiate the renewal. Am I obligated to pay a commission to their agent, or would I be able to deny the use of an agent so I do not have to pay a commission? 

0Reply
15 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2017 · 310 posts · 271 votes
    9y

    Have you agreed with an agent to pay them a commission, ie signed a contract with an agent?

    If not, what the tenant agrees to pay an RE agent is purely their prerogative, you're not party to their contract, correct?

    I don't see how you would be able to prevent the tenant from hiring an agent (just as they could hire an attorney or a DPOA to negotiate for them if they were on vacation or in the hospital, or their court appointed guardian could negotiate on their behalf), but you also don't have to pay for it.

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I guess you'd need to figure out the actually standing of the agent, in what capacity does he represent the company.. why wouldn't the principals sign if they did before.. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.