Raising Section 8 Rents

2 Replies

I've never dealt with section 8 with the properties I've had. I was looking at a building that had some section 8 tenants and had a couple of questions.

Is it really difficult to deal with Section 8?
If I inherit a Section 8 lease, is there a way to renegotiate the rent? How tough is it to raise the rent?

I have a couple tenants on section 8 and after the first year they are at the unit you are able to raise the rent in proportion to the going rents in the same area.

I don't have a problem with section 8, yeas there is some paper work to do but the rent is always on time.

Not only that... but in some markets there is a long waiting list for section 8 (3+ years in Dayton ATM) so tenants don't want to lose their section 8 status. It's extra hassle, but it has benefits. The main problem that I have with section 8 is that you pretty much have to use their contract terms instead of your own.

BEWARE! Read the fine print on your prospective tenant's Section 8 voucher. I found out the hard way that the seller of my building had an "agreement on the side" where the tenant was supposed to pay $84 per month in addition to her subsidy. Section 8 specifically does not allow this! So instead of getting the $462 a month I thought I would get I'm only getting $378 / month.

If you buy a building with Section 8 tenants then you must assume their lease. At the end of the lease though you are pretty much free to do as you please.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.