Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Keith Ellis
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
IL Condo HOA rules amended by property manager (not HOA Board)

Keith Ellis
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Sep 28 2017, 10:21

I have an Illinois condo unit that I rent out and would like a second opinion about an issue that was debating with the HOA's property manager.

The gist is that after signing new tenants to a lease I was hit with a $150 fee that wasn't in the rules and regulations for the HOA when I bought the unit. The IL Condo Property Ace is quite clear about the process required in order to amend governing documents, of which rules and regs are one. For example, the HOA must vote in an open meeting, notification of that meeting must be provided to HOA members, and the notification must include the full text of the proposed changes. In my case, not only did none of that happen, the PM is actually suggesting that is was THEM who changed the rules and therefore the typical process didn't need to be followed. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? It's only $150 but it seems clearly illegal not to mention it makes me seriously doubt the credibility of the PM if he has this poor of a grasp of the rules his business must adhere to.

Loading replies...