Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Adam Dow
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
Votes |
How many chances do you give a tenant who pays late?

Adam Dow
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
Posted Oct 2 2017, 15:33

Hi guys, 

I have these tenants who moved in this past June. They seemed like great people and have done a great job with the maintenance of the unit. They painted one room and even planted a flow bed in the front. These were ideal tenants until last month when they could only pay half of September's rent on the first. They said their money got stolen and couldn't pay until two weeks later. So I agreed and was empathetic. Two weeks went by and no rent. They then said it would be paid the following week. That day came and went and nothing received. Finally a few days later I got a payment from them but it was $15 short. I had to ask them for the remaining $15 and when it was all said and done, it took almost the entire month of Sept to collect all the rent. 

Oct 1, yesterday, at 9 am I get an email saying "Hey Adam, rent will be paid Friday. Won't happen again, payday is Friday." As you can see, they didn't even ask permission to pay rent late and didn't even give me any notice rent would be late. In my opinion, emailing me the day of rent due date is unacceptable. Vacancy rates in my area are at 0% (waiting lists everywhere to get in) so I could evict them and not have an issue finding new tenants. So my question is, at what point would you evict these tenants?

Thanks, 

Adam 

Loading replies...