Gas Forced Hot Water Boiler Replacement cost

9 Replies

Hey Guys-

In all my units the heating systems are forced hot water gas baseboard.  At some point the 25 or so year old boilers are going to start going.  Anyone have one changed out recently?  Trying to get a rough idea on cost?  Each boiler would heat a 800-1000sq foot apartment.

Thanks!

@David K

Dependent on efficiency level of the new boiler being installed I would budget $5000 - $6000 ea. That should cover the cost of the new boiler, circulator, expansion tank, pressure reducing valve, necessary piping and labor for a complete install.

We are having a new boiler for two units installed today; the total cost will be $4000-$4500.

Originally posted by @Tom W. :

@David K

Dependent on efficiency level of the new boiler being installed I would budget $5000 - $6000 ea. That should cover the cost of the new boiler, circulator, expansion tank, pressure reducing valve, necessary piping and labor for a complete install.

Wow....for a boiler that retails for $2000..... 

Originally posted by @Shazia Chiu :

We are having a new boiler for two units installed today; the total cost will be $4000-$4500.

Ok, I was gonna guess close to 3k each, thats a good deal!

@David K.

No doubt you can get it done cheaper. It depends on the type of contractor you plan on using and the type of boiler you install. 

Low efficiency units that still use the old chimney are less expensive and take less labor to install. Newer high efficiency units that vent through the wall are more expensive to buy and more labor intensive to install. Your call on which way to go largely depending, I would imagine, on who foots the fuel bill.

Contractor costs can vary widely in different parts of the country. I'm in NJ where labor rates and markups are higher than a lot of other areas due to our higher costs of doing business. Reputable contractors are definitely going to cost you more than handymen or fly-by-nighters. Permits, insurance, warranties and responsive service when problems arise come at a higher cost. Again, your call on which way to go but I have seen a lot of "bargain" installations cost way more in the long run. 

Originally posted by @Tom W. :

@David K.

No doubt you can get it done cheaper. It depends on the type of contractor you plan on using and the type of boiler you install. 

Low efficiency units that still use the old chimney are less expensive and take less labor to install. Newer high efficiency units that vent through the wall are more expensive to buy and more labor intensive to install. Your call on which way to go largely depending, I would imagine, on who foots the fuel bill.

Contractor costs can vary widely in different parts of the country. I'm in NJ where labor rates and markups are higher than a lot of other areas due to our higher costs of doing business. Reputable contractors are definitely going to cost you more than handymen or fly-by-nighters. Permits, insurance, warranties and responsive service when problems arise come at a higher cost. Again, your call on which way to go but I have seen a lot of "bargain" installations cost way more in the long run. 

Valid points.  All my units can be vented thru chimney as they are now.  Just trying to get a rough idea.  

Originally posted by @David K. :
Originally posted by @Tom W.:

@David K

Wow....for a boiler that retails for $2000..... 

Copper pipe is very expensive , especially when you get over 3/4 inch , boilers are heave , removing the old and installing  the new . Now add new zone valves , fast fill valve , expansion blatter , and all the installation .  All this adds to the cost of just the boiler .   And licensed plumbers in my area get paid close to 6 figures .

Boiler replacement is better done when it's planned than EMERGENCY.. If you have any asbestos wrapped pipes, older boilers usually do.. that will need to removed if they work on it.

We've had 2 boilers replaced,, one emergency and it was like 20 below.. TERRIBLE can't begin to tell you how big a deal it was.. worrying about frozen plumbing, and everything.. had to get electric heaters to keep the water going for toilets and sinks.. 

Cost for asbestos abatement was like 1800.. cost of boiler with install was like 6K.

The nice install was all planned,, no issues,, and had same company do the work.. the new boilers run much better more efficient.. big savings on gas usage.. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.