Landlord replaced faulty washer dryer with a nasty used combo?

4 Replies

Hello folks,

After at least 2 years of sending a repair guy to fix the faulty washer and dryer we had in our apt, the landlord agreed to replace them. 

Unfortunately, they sent the repair guy to buy a used combo and he chose probably the combo in worse condition.  

The dryer is rusty inside and dirt is stuck in places I can't easily clean (crevices). The washer was filthy. 

These pics were after I cleaned them up the best I could. 

So my girl friend is disgusted that we will have to use these units to wash and dry our bedding, clothes, etc. I am not as picky, but still I find this kind of gross and a step down.

Is this something I should bring up or complain about? If so, what can I expect? I doubt they will replace them or do much about it so I might be wasting my time. On the other hand, I can send these pictures for their records since they can then blame us for the units' condition when we leave. (also when repair guy was testing the washer, some water leaked from the exit hose through the ceiling and left a water mark on the ceiling)

The washer and dryer are included in the rent (most apts are rented with washer and dryer in this area), and the ones we had were 10 times better than these ones, but failed often. However, I would have been happy to continue to call the repair guy if I knew we would get this nasty ones. 

Suggestions appreciated. 

Thank you.

It probably depends on what your lease says. Many landlords in this area provide washer and dryer as a courtesy but make it explicit that they are not part of the rental. I suspect that as long as they're functioning you wouldn't have much of a case in court however if you have a good relationship with your landlord you could probably send out a friendly communication expressing your concerns. If the landlord is any kind of decent human being and if you were any kind of decent tenant they will probably find some way to leave you with a positive feeling.

Hi, the lease states that the Landlord will take care of Appliances (washer dryer, refri, microwave, oven/range are all listed under appliances that are part of the property being rented. 

After having cleaned the dryer, I tested the high heat setting and burnt smell started coming out and even the smoke detector went off!!! Some burnt dust is being blown into the drum through that grill that looks rusty. 

I called the repair man before testing the high heat setting due to a small leak on hot water hookup, so he is coming tomorrow. He will probably offer to fix the dryer, but at this point we would prefer they install something that is decent and not some burnt/dirty unit. 

I could call the landlord before the repair man shows up, but the result will probably be that they will fix it instead of replacing, so I could end up just pissing off the repair guy and end up with the same result. Not good. 

Does a tenant have a right to get a replacement that is at least comparable to what is being replaced? 

"Does a tenant have a right to get a replacement that is at least comparable to what is being replaced?"

Unless there is some provision in the lease that specifically addresses this, no. 

Have you two simply considered buying your own washer and dryer?  Big box stores such as Lowes and Home Depot always seem to have these appliances on sale and over a certain amount ($399 where I live) it's free delivery.

Gail

Originally posted by @Gail K. :

"Does a tenant have a right to get a replacement that is at least comparable to what is being replaced?"

Unless there is some provision in the lease that specifically addresses this, no. 

Have you two simply considered buying your own washer and dryer?  Big box stores such as Lowes and Home Depot always seem to have these appliances on sale and over a certain amount ($399 where I live) it's free delivery.

Gail

We haven't considered buying our own since they were included when we rented the place and we never imagined that they would replace them with junk if they failed. The lease is up soon and we will be moving out of state. So I don't look forward to hauling big appliances on top of furniture and belongings. I will for sure buy my own once there. 

We'll talk to the landlord tomorrow since this dryer is a fire hazard at this point and see what happens. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.