How long does it typically take to fill a vacancy

8 Replies

I listed my first investment property less than a week ago.  On Zillow its trending in the top 10% in the neighborhood and on Truilla its listed as a best value.  My market is almost certainly smaller than most of yours. On Zillow I've has 256 views and 5 saves. I've had i think 10 people inquire about the house  almost all in the first 2 days and scheduled 4 of them to meet tonight and none of them showed up.

The oldest listing on zillow in my market is 57 days. Whats your average time to fill a vacancy?

@Thomas Robb

On my single family homes it takes about a week. I use the BRRRR strategy and I fix them up. They are almost flip ready. I am able to attract higher quality tenants and the properties go quick. I always try to double and triple book the appointments for the no shows. My apartments take a little longer 2 to 3 weeks. Market price, good pictures and detailed description should help. I use Zillow as well.

Good Luck. 

2-3 weeks usually.  During winter things are slower.  Last vacancy only took about a week.

It usually takes me a week. Florida and Texas

The towns I rent in are under 10K population. It depends on what part of the month I list it in. First part of the month it takes 3-4 weeks. Towards the end of the month it takes 1-2 weeks. 10 calls in a couple days would be a lot. It all depends on your market. What works in bigger cities won't necessarily work for me. If I did open houses, very few people would show up, if any.

Thomas Robb
All depends on your market and your criteria. I like to think that my criteria is fairly high so it takes 2-3 weeks. We turn down a lot of people that don't meet our criteria.

Originally posted by @Jim S. :

The towns I rent in are under 10K population. It depends on what part of the month I list it in. First part of the month it takes 3-4 weeks. Towards the end of the month it takes 1-2 weeks. 10 calls in a couple days would be a lot. It all depends on your market. What works in bigger cities won't necessarily work for me. If I did open houses, very few people would show up, if any.

Unfortunately in the past 3 days I have received only 1 call but it is only the 14th. When I did my C on C calculations I allowed for about a month of vacancy. 

Last one was on the market Sept 15th after freshening and repairs and rented by the 25th. I admit I was biting my nails. That week after the 20th is always when the most calls come in.

Last property I rented had zero days vacancy.  Put ad on CL, made 3 concurrent appointments, showed once while old tenant still under lease,got 3 applications picked best one.  Old tenant moved out on last day of month, tenant cleaned, new tenant moved in the first.  Zero days vacancy.

I try to keep tenants long term have had some stay for over 30 years!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here