How long does it typically take to fill a vacancy

8 Replies

I listed my first investment property less than a week ago.  On Zillow its trending in the top 10% in the neighborhood and on Truilla its listed as a best value.  My market is almost certainly smaller than most of yours. On Zillow I've has 256 views and 5 saves. I've had i think 10 people inquire about the house  almost all in the first 2 days and scheduled 4 of them to meet tonight and none of them showed up.

The oldest listing on zillow in my market is 57 days. Whats your average time to fill a vacancy?

@Thomas Robb

On my single family homes it takes about a week. I use the BRRRR strategy and I fix them up. They are almost flip ready. I am able to attract higher quality tenants and the properties go quick. I always try to double and triple book the appointments for the no shows. My apartments take a little longer 2 to 3 weeks. Market price, good pictures and detailed description should help. I use Zillow as well.

Good Luck. 

2-3 weeks usually.  During winter things are slower.  Last vacancy only took about a week.

It usually takes me a week. Florida and Texas

The towns I rent in are under 10K population. It depends on what part of the month I list it in. First part of the month it takes 3-4 weeks. Towards the end of the month it takes 1-2 weeks. 10 calls in a couple days would be a lot. It all depends on your market. What works in bigger cities won't necessarily work for me. If I did open houses, very few people would show up, if any.

@Thomas Robb
All depends on your market and your criteria. I like to think that my criteria is fairly high so it takes 2-3 weeks. We turn down a lot of people that don't meet our criteria.

Originally posted by @Jim S. :

The towns I rent in are under 10K population. It depends on what part of the month I list it in. First part of the month it takes 3-4 weeks. Towards the end of the month it takes 1-2 weeks. 10 calls in a couple days would be a lot. It all depends on your market. What works in bigger cities won't necessarily work for me. If I did open houses, very few people would show up, if any.

Unfortunately in the past 3 days I have received only 1 call but it is only the 14th. When I did my C on C calculations I allowed for about a month of vacancy. 

Last one was on the market Sept 15th after freshening and repairs and rented by the 25th. I admit I was biting my nails. That week after the 20th is always when the most calls come in.

Last property I rented had zero days vacancy.  Put ad on CL, made 3 concurrent appointments, showed once while old tenant still under lease,got 3 applications picked best one.  Old tenant moved out on last day of month, tenant cleaned, new tenant moved in the first.  Zero days vacancy.

I try to keep tenants long term have had some stay for over 30 years!

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.