2 bedroom or 3 bedroom

1 Reply

I have a unit for rent that is 1375 sq ft "3" bedrooms 1 bathroom. The third bedroom is quite small (wide enough for a full bed and small night table), but does have a closet and built in desk. The room is more for a kid. Im advertising as a 3 bed but having trouble getting a tenant. Would you advertise as a 2 bedroom and shave a few hundred off the rent? This would result in cash flow close to 0.

Hey @Michael Zack - if your cash flow will drop to zero, that'd be cutting it way too close. You'd likely have negative cash flow which must obviously be avoided at all costs. I recommend doing everything you possibly can to get it rented. Brandon Turner recently said that Real Estate is less about your market and more about your marketing and I find that to be very true.

In addition to having an agent advertise your rental, I recommend posting it everywhere you possibly can - realtor.com, zillow, trulia, redfin, and especially craigslist. Bonus tip: Repost your rental every couple of hours on craigslist so it stays visible until you finally get a tenant in there renting it out at your 3 bedroom price. By consistently posting it, I think you'll eventually find someone interested in renting that will enable you to still cash flow each month. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here