Free accounting software that tracks receipts?

5 Replies

I know this has been discussed a lot, but with the advent of receipt scanning and mobile apps, I would like to find convenient ways to go paperless. Quickbooks mobile has a receipt scanning and automatic data entry feature, but the reviews are mixed. I have been using excel to track everything. I see at least one app that might compare to QB Online, called Hurdlr. 

Anyways, maybe I can just keep using excel, but put it on a "cloud" drive like Google Drive or OneDrive? I am looking to accomplish three main things without paying for software constantly:

1. Mobile bookkeeping on my phone

2. Electronic storage of receipts

3. Automatic mileage

So far I'm thinking just Excel, but on a shared drive. Maybe Onenote for the receipts, and some free app for mileage. Apparently it's possible to insert .pdf images into Excel, so I could insert the receipt images next to each line item.

Any other recommendations? I'm trying to make the bookkeeping more painless because I just went through about 700 receipts over the last few days.

Seems like you are asking the impossible.

Bookkeeping on mobile? People hire accountants/bookkeepers do the work. I do not know how doing it on your smartphone will accomplish the year-end stuff. This is going to be a nightmare.

Take pictures on your phone that's free. Or pay for an app to take pictures of the receipt automatically and it will turn them into PDF. Then upload it to your cloud drive.

Automatic mileage? This just has to be calculated manually, unless they have an app for it.

I would check out Cozy's new offering- It does not sound like it checks all of your boxes, but knowing there commitment to expanding the resources they can market to Landlords I would be surprised if it didn't in a year.

As someone who utilizes Excel and OneNote- I am a big fan, but I would consider springing for Adobe Acrobat- you will have an unlimited cloud drive, be able to scan any thing from your phone and organize and pdf all of your documents/mailings etc.

Originally posted by @Simon W. :

Seems like you are asking the impossible.

Bookkeeping on mobile? People hire accountants/bookkeepers do the work. I do not know how doing it on your smartphone will accomplish the year-end stuff. This is going to be a nightmare.

Take pictures on your phone that's free. Or pay for an app to take pictures of the receipt automatically and it will turn them into PDF. Then upload it to your cloud drive.

Automatic mileage? This just has to be calculated manually, unless they have an app for it.

QuickBooks online and self employed both have mobile apps. But the reviews don't seem great. People are saying that the mileage tracker isn't working. Plus I'd rather not pay monthly. I purchased a copy of the desktop software and also Quicken, and both have obsolescence programmed in. I can't import bank statements even manually and Quicken disabled it's mobile app. I refuse to throw money at either again. 

It's not that I can't do it (being a tax accountant lol), just trying to find a convenient, paperless system.

Originally posted by @Patrick M. :

I would check out Cozy's new offering- It does not sound like it checks all of your boxes, but knowing there commitment to expanding the resources they can market to Landlords I would be surprised if it didn't in a year.

As someone who utilizes Excel and OneNote- I am a big fan, but I would consider springing for Adobe Acrobat- you will have an unlimited cloud drive, be able to scan any thing from your phone and organize and pdf all of your documents/mailings etc.

I will look into Adobe. I was wondering if cloud storage would become an issue going completely paperless. I know that the Excel files would get huge if I attach receipts to them directly. 

Adobe works seamlessly between mobile and desktop. So for scanning and organizing later I think it would be great.

I pdf all of my communications (letters and notices to tenants esp.) and I have my signature saved to place on any documents. Quite frankly Iike using Excel for my spread sheets and Adobe for my document handling.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.