Keep or toss vintage fridge?

12 Replies

The apartment has a copper colored fridge that works.  I think it's kind of cool.  However, several prospective tenants have disliked it.  Class c+ area.  Do I keep it?

Depends if you want tenants or a cool fridge....  I would think that you would get $0 additional rent for a cool old fridge and it sounds like it could have cost you a tenant.  $500 for new fridge delivered from home depot and $15 haul away cost seems like a no-brainer.

If its really a very cool vintage fridge, take it home and try to sell it to an antique reseller or use it to decorate a mancave, then put in a fridge that's gunna get you tenants

OK, fridge is going away.  Breaks my heart that nobody else has my good taste, lol.

Pictures or it didn't happen

I would sell it! Tenants tend to be pretty hard on things such as fridges (thus the reason most SFR in CA are having tenants bring in their own) and put in one that can be inexpensively replaced.

Does the fridge work?   Paint it.

Gail

I had a vintage fridge in a flip I bought. I tried to sell it, as people love old stuff... ended up giving it away as it really had little value. Unless you land a desirable one, it probably isn't worth much.

Here's an update. After I got a new fridge, the electric bill went down about $40 per month!  I didn't realize the old fridge was using so much power.   It will pay for itself in a year.

Originally posted by @Ashley Hernandez :

I would sell it! Tenants tend to be pretty hard on things such as fridges (thus the reason most SFR in CA are having tenants bring in their own) and put in one that can be inexpensively replaced.

In the bay area at least, I wouldn't say it's common to not have fridge. In fact I lived in one place that didn't have one, when I moved out the landlord bought it from me... worked out well for both of us.

My local power co. will pick up old running fridges and give you $50. Check yours.

I went into a house once , it had an old chest freezer . It was made by International Harvester , the same country that made trucks . the seller told me it was a collectors piece .

I asked him " how many people do you know that collect old freezers ? "  

In a C/B class property a 2-3 year old $200 used fridge is all that would be required to satisfy tenants. There is rarely any justification to buy new since warranties rarely pay off. 

Control of expenses is the primary method to maintaine high returns.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.