• Investor
  • Richardson, TX
Votes |
Am I asking too much? 2 yrs tax returns & 2 mths bank statements

Cameron Marmon
  • Investor
  • Richardson, TX
Posted Oct 19 2017, 15:14

So I am using an agent to find a tenant for my property. I get an application and my agent says he is a nice normal guy.

I get the application and it is MOSTLY complete and states he makes almost 18x the monthly rent I am charging. He wants to rent because he owns a few small businesses locally, but also owns a business with family in a town about 5 hours away. He ultimately just wants to rent until he finalizes his plans. 

So I am on board at this point, but I have a bad feeling. The potential tenant didn't provide his DL#, didn't provide his SS#, only provided contact info for his most recent landlord, but no property address. I know he rented before that, but he did not provide the address or landlord info. Additionally, he said his GF is going to live with him in the property, but he doesn't want her on the lease because he is paying all of the rent. Just a bunch of little things that tell me this guy is hiding something or he makes so much money he thinks he doesn't need to provide that info.

Anyway, I went ahead and asked my agent to ask him and his GF to fill out the SmartMove application so I can see their background and credit. They did that and their credit is good with no history of issues. However, he has 2 DWI's and 2 speeding tickets on his criminal record. Hers is clean. At this point, I wouldn't say he is going to be the pillar of the community, but I am still in.

So I then advised my agent that I would like to see 2 years of tax returns to verify his income since he is self-employed or W2's, if he pays himself a salary. Additionally, I want 2 months of bank statements to verify his deposits. My landlord told me they do not like to get involved with financials and I am asking for too much. She advised that good credit, good payment history, and none sex offender is really all I need to be concerned with. 

I do not agree with her sentiment on the info I want to see. Do you all think I am asking for too much? What would you all do in this instance?

I am about to draw the line and say I need the tax returns or W2's, bank statements, missing application info, and his GF must be on the lease. If they do not want to provide that then I think this is not a good tenant for me.

That said, the one reference he did provide said he was a good tenant. However, his daughters also lived at the home and he was seldom there because he traveled a lot.  

Thank you

Loading replies...