Concrete block steps, remove them?

4 Replies

I've got a rental that has some grade issues on the outside and I am going to add soil to help with drainage away from the house.  The problem is there are 4 heavy concrete steps, they are in good condition but I am unsure what to do with them as they are not easily moved and the soil has sunk more around them as compared to the rest of the house.

I'm thinking of just smashing them up, adding soil around foundation and then putting wooden steps in place as they won't put as much weight on the new soil and can easily be moved if I need to add more soil for drainage.

Anyone encountered this issue? Thoughts?

I see no one has replied to your post, so I'll throw in my useless 2 cents.  I haven't encountered this situation, but what you are proposing makes sense.  Though it really sucks to have to destroy perfectly good steps, plus spend the money to build more.  Good luck with whatever you decide, but I think you are on the right track.

Ya, kinda pains me to destroy 4 perfectly good steps but I'd have to rent some sort of equipment to move them and then I imagine I'd be faced with the exact same problem in 10 years if I put them back in place.

the idea situation is to move the steps, pour a proper base and then reinstall. I prefer wood steps as well however they would not be movable as that would not meet code. 

In theory it sounds like a good idea. Make sure that whoever you hire to build the new steps gets a permit.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here