Agent said "I will not advertise your rental on MLS"

35 Replies

Hello there, BP famil. I recently called an agent that was suggested to me by other landlord. I wanted to interview her to see how good she would be to help me rent out my apartment. When I asked her when can you stop by to take pictures of the place, she said :" Well, I don't usually take pictures." I was like: "How are you going to advertise it then?" On which she answered: " I have my own clientele and don't need to create an MLS listing"

What to think of that???

@Lana Lee   Perhaps there's more to the story, but if the facts are as you presented them, I'd move on to another agent.

You will always get the best price on any sale by exposing it to the greatest number of people. In real estate, that is still done by listing on MLS.

Even if she has a deep list of renters waiting in the wings, how will she get them interested enough in your property without photos.

Perhaps this agent is doing it right and the entire rest of the real estate industry is doing it wrong, but I really doubt it.

Do landlords commonly use real estate agents and the MLS for advertising rentals? Its not common here.

The typical fee for rentals is one month’s rent. I can’t see why any agent would bother with listing or showing rentals when their side is a half months rent.

I use a free service that lists my rentals on realtor.com. If you are looking for an agent assist I would do that or put in your Zillow-craigslist-etc. listing that you welcome realtors. They will come calling, trust me.

1 months rent is to big for me to give away in this rental market, potential tenants are everywhere.

Originally posted by @Jon Holdman :

Do landlords commonly use real estate agents and the MLS for advertising rentals? Its not common here.

Yes. After creating MLS listing the for rent add automatically appear on major websites like Zillow , realtor and such.

Originally posted by @Charlie MacPherson :

@Lana Lee  Perhaps there's more to the story, but if the facts are as you presented them, I'd move on to another agent.

You will always get the best price on any sale by exposing it to the greatest number of people. In real estate, that is still done by listing on MLS.

Even if she has a deep list of renters waiting in the wings, how will she get them interested enough in your property without photos.

Perhaps this agent is doing it right and the entire rest of the real estate industry is doing it wrong, but I really doubt it.

There is nothing else to the story. Maybe she gets comitions from both tenants and landlords ?

@Lana Lee If that's all there is to it, I call BS.  

Here in MA, commissions are normally 1 month rent, split between agencies.  If the landlord's agent also brings the tenant, they would get a full month's rent as commission.

If another agent brings the tenant, they split that commission, normally 50/50.

It can be paid by the landlord, tenant or split 50/50 as well.

At any rate, I suggest you find another agent who will do the work necessary to take care of you. 

Originally posted by @Wayne Brooks :

The typical fee for rentals is one month’s rent. I can’t see why any agent would bother with listing or showing rentals when their side is a half months rent.

That could be a reason, but then it might take longer to find a tenant that way. I can't let the propertys be vacant too long. The renovation took 2 months already .

Originally posted by @Patrick M. :

I use a free service that lists my rentals on realtor.com. If you are looking for an agent assist I would do that or put in your Zillow-craigslist-etc. listing that you welcome realtors. They will come calling, trust me.

1 months rent is to big for me to give away in this rental market, potential tenants are everywhere.

Do you then give them half the 1st month rent?

There are plenty of agents in the Philadelphia area that will take the listing and put it on the mls with no problem .

Originally posted by @Tj Stirling :

There are plenty of agents in the Philadelphia area that will take the listing and put it on the mls with no problem .

Sure. I was just wondering, trying to learn as much as I can. I used the agents before and never had anything like that. 

I would definitely think that strange myself. Without knowing you, the agent, or being a part of the situation, I can't make any sort of judgment. However, from the root of what I understand here, I'd just like to leave a note sharing my professional practice in dealing with rentals. While the commission is the primary driver for some agents, other agents are driven more by helping people, and I am definitely the latter. Just two days ago I came into contact with a young couple looking to rent-to-own. They aren't anywhere close to being in a spot to purchase a home, and it is difficult to find an owner who will accept a rent-to-own deal. I did not have them sign any forms to become my client since they are not purchasing a home, and I met with them for an hour to show them homes for sale that the owners might consider rent-to-own and Craigslist posts for rent-to-own. I spent an hour of my day with them to help guide them down the right path, even though I will not be their agent and will not get any commission out of the deal. I am driven by helping people, the commission is just a nice bonus for me.

I suggest you get someone handy by letting her go. It is true some realtors can NOT advertise rentals on MLS insurance related. Only rental brokers with special credential can manage property in most states.

Updated about 1 year ago

E&O insurance. Most brokers do not carry rental insurance.

Originally posted by @Lana Lee :

Hello there, BP famil. I recently called an agent that was suggested to me by other landlord. I wanted to interview her to see how good she would be to help me rent out my apartment. When I asked her when can you stop by to take pictures of the place, she said :" Well, I don't usually take pictures." I was like: "How are you going to advertise it then?" On which she answered: " I have my own clientele and don't need to create an MLS listing"

What to think of that???

Perhaps her brokerage has a pool of eager would-be tenants looking to rent in your area. If that is the case, who needs photos or an MLS listing?

I have a friend that deals primarily in rentals in the Boston area, and I dont think he ever lists them on the MLS.

Originally posted by @Sam Shueh :

I suggest you get someone handy by letting her go. It is true some realtors can NOT advertise rentals on MLS insurance related. Only rental brokers with special credential can manage property in most states.

Interesting to know. This lady advertised property for sale before on MLS, is it somehow different with advertising for rent on MLS. Does she have to have a special insurance for that?

Originally posted by @Tom Gimer :
Originally posted by @Lana Lee:

What to think of that???

Perhaps her brokerage has a pool of eager would-be tenants looking to rent in your area. If that is the case, who needs photos or an MLS listing?

It is a 3 br unit and she did mention that it would be harder to rent out as opposed to 2 and 1br.

Originally posted by @Tom Gimer :
Originally posted by @Lana Lee:

What to think of that???

I dout they have a big pool.

Originally posted by @Russell Brazil :

I have a friend that deals primarily in rentals in the Boston area, and I dont think he ever lists them on the MLS.

Ok , but your friend must have advertise it somewhere .She didn't even want to take pictures of my unit.

@Lana Lee I do not welcome realtors, I have had one involved in a potential rental. They contacted me, wanted to send a tenants over and said she understood that I may not give her commission. They came and looked at the place with the other interested tenants. I liked them a lot!

I rented it to another couple because they immediately jumped through all the hoops and loved the place.

I came to find out the other couple loved it too but their realtor did not get back to me until two days later. Either playing some sophomoric game of "make him wait" or just far far too busy to pick-up a phone. Either way I found having a 3rd party involved to be very inconvenient.

Originally posted by @Patrick M. :

@Lana Lee I do not welcome realtors, I have had one involved in a potential rental. They contacted me, wanted to send a tenants over and said she understood that I may not give her commission. They came and looked at the place with the other interested tenants. I liked them a lot!

I rented it to another couple because they immediately jumped through all the hoops and loved the place.

I came to find out the other couple loved it too but their realtor did not get back to me until two days later. Either playing some sophomoric game of "make him wait" or just far far too busy to pick-up a phone. Either way I found having a 3rd party involved to be very inconvenient.

I wish I had time to find tenants on my own to eliminate the middle man.

Originally posted by @Lana Lee :
Originally posted by @Jon Holdman:

Yes. After creating MLS listing the for rent add automatically appear on major websites like Zillow , realtor and such.

I List my rentals on Zillow and they propagate for free to Redfin, hotpads, apartments.com, etc.     Plus, Zillow creates a link for Craigslist.      Why would I give a single thin dime to a broker...?

@Sam Shueh  what you are saying does not happen in philly mls. There is a difference between advertising for a tenant in mls and doing property management. You don't need a special license/insurance to put an ad in mls rental section. 

@Lana Lee - Does the agent work for a leasing or rental mgt company? Large ones don't normally advertise in mls. 

Originally posted by @Mags S. :

@Sam Shueh  what you are saying does not happen in philly mls. There is a difference between advertising for a tenant in mls and doing property management. You don't need a special license/insurance to put an ad in mls rental section. 

@Lana Lee - Does the agent work for a leasing or rental mgt company? Large ones don't normally advertise in mls. 

As I was told by the landlord who had good experience with her she is mostly seller's agent but also renting out apartments for clients. But that landlord is not an experienced one that's why I wanted my BP family to give me their opinions.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here