Tenant requested to allow dog after moved in

11 Replies

My new (less than a month old) tenant is requesting for us to allow his dog in the unit. Until this request came up there was never any mentioning of any ownership of dog by this individual. I'm a dog owner myself so I feel conflicted.  My main issue is that it wasn't brought up earlier and the tenant has  apparently owned such dog since it was 6 weeks old. Would like to get everyone's thoughts on whether to allow a lease amendment or not.

I wouldn't allow it. He essentially lied on the lease, since he had to know that he had a pet and would want that pet to live with him. It sets a very bad precedent. I actually had a similar post if you would like to check it out. Good Luck! 

You will happy if you say no. 

JUST say NO.

Not sure if this is a Single Family rental or a unit in a complex, but once you let one tenant have a dog / cat you have to basically let the others..

So NO and be prepared to have him next ask if he can move.. 

In my experience most people will just try to sneak the dog in and try to hide it.  Might as well agree to it and make some money off it.  Pet deposit and monthly pet fee.

I know this opinion will be disagreed by most people here.

Is this a SFH or an apartment setting? If the former, what type of dog are we talking about here (many insurance companies won't cover certain breeds)? What age? (no puppies!). Spayed or neutered and vetted in terms of vaccinations?

If an apartment setting, nope.  Left alone, a barking dog (and yes, I know a tenants dog NEVER barks) is going to cause other tenants to complain.  And, has previously mentioned, do you allow other tenants to have dogs?  Would you if you agree to allow this one?

If you do agree to this, modify the lease to include a pet FEE plus monthly pet rent.

Gail

All thank you so much for the feedback. It's a 4-unit building and the apartments are not that big which is why we don't allow dogs. The more I think of it, it's just going to cause more harm than good with my existing tenants, which are awesome and we have a longer relationship.

Before you say no, I would find out what kind of dog it is.  Unless you are prepared to evict the tenant, the dog will probably be there whether you say yes and collect a pet deposit/rent or say no.  If it is not a vicious breed and on the smaller side, I would consider meeting the dog and if it is okay, then have him sign a strict pet agreement, add a non-refundable deposit and consider adding a pet increase to the rent.

It is more a judgement call in my opinion.  If you are in a hot market and can get another tenant quick, then see if he will leave with his dog and get another tenant.  If you decide to allow it with the pet agreement/deposit/rent increase, then be sure to have a frank conversation with him that the dog situation is not cool and you will be keeping an eye on his tenancy and this is a strike against him.  Who knows, he might be a great tenant, pays rent on time and otherwise is worth the extra headache up front.  Also, if they are willing to pay the deposit additional rent, they are probably decent pet owners.

But what ever way you go, don't think for a minute that you saying no will keep the dog out.  It is probably already there.

This ia another reason why I only rent month to month.  

I interviewed a woman that passed her screening and i asked her about hobbies, interests, etc.    She never said anything about a snake and I already said she could have her dog.  Afew days after she moved in, I saw her glass snake enclosure on the carport and asked if she had a snake.   She said yes.  So, i told her that either the snake goes, or she will go in 30 days..  She moved out a week later.

If you don't allow dogs why are you on the forum asking this question.

Do you usually permit your tenants to violate their lease.

I agree with @Thomas S. if you allow them to break conditions of their lease then you will have to make exceptions for everyone... slippery slope.  I am a dog lover myself however I can tell you with complete confidence in rental situations it ends up costing the landlord TONS of money after they move out.  Better to just avoid.... 

I agree with others and tell them NO.

Just be careful and watch out for the service animal label.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.