Rental not complete by Lease date

3 Replies

Construction on my rental building was to be complete by Nov. 1st. We had some challenges with the city sidewalk and road construction and it will not be complete till approx. Nov. 15th. 

What should I do?

Thanks for your feedback in advance!

Sean

Do you have a good RE attorney that has taken on the city? When you have to fight city hall, you want to have someone there with you. 

Originally posted by @Jack Bobeck :

Do you have a good RE attorney that has taken on the city? When you have to fight city hall, you want to have someone there with you. 

While I would viscerally want to light a fire under the local gov't's collective ***(et)s, wouldn't pursuing legal action be pouring kerosene on a bridge between yourself and those that regulate you?  Maybe my sweet-tooth is talking for fondness of honey over vinegar.  But if Ferndale is small enough that the local officials haven't converted their mindset from "we are a neighborhood where we all belong" to "we are a growing community where lawsuits are just part of the process of leadership accountability"- well, I'd be concerned about legislative vendettas of a sort.  Thoughts?

Maybe lemonade made would be along the lines of "New city investments to augment your new home!  Come in today and see what we have that you're current home doesn't!!!"

The first call to any attorney is always free. What harm is there to find out? 

I've taken on my city and been fined and seen the fines go away. The city is full of people that put their pants on the same way you do. They are not always right. I live in a historic district and the rules are sometimes ridiculous. 

The city is always being sued and fighting all kinds of lawsuits. Yours will not be the only one, but if you find the city is at fault, they should be held accountable. They will move on to the next issue. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here