Should I hire a Public Adjuster?

2 Replies


Some youngin crashed his car into my Multi over the weekend. He hit the foundation. Doesn't look like much damage, other than chunks of concrete broken off. But this unit was built in 1900ish, and I want to make sure an expert blesses off on the structure.

I reported to my homeowner's insurance, and they told me to claim through the guy's auto policy. I reported to his auto policy, and they said I'd be better off going through my homeowner's policy because the homeowner's would cover replacement costs - whereas they would probably prorate. Prorate? This thing is over 100 years old. 

I don't know if the damage is on 1k, but is it recommended to bring in a Public Adjuster?  The property is in New Bedford, Massachusetts.


Prorate means actual cash value.  The at-fault party owes this actual cash value, which is the value at the time of loss.  Your own policy is likely replacement cost, which is the cost to replace the damaged items. 

I highly doubt a PA will do anything for you.  Plus they take a commission from your settlement.  If you are concerned about structural damage, talk with your insurance about it and proceed with a claim.  Have you noticed any shifting since the accident?  Maybe request a structural engineer to sign off.

YA want a structural engineer to sign off on it before any work is done.. and let adjuster know that.. 

I've used a public adjuster,, usually after I've gotten a claim that was either missing cost factors or just didn't pass the smell test.. you'll probably be ahead in this instance. 

Damage limited to 1 K...I fully doubt it ,, any masonry repair is not cheap.  My dad backed into a brick grocery store sign,, he thought a couple of hundred bucks to fix.. cost was incredible.. 

From what I understand you a public adjuster gets paid if he wins the claim for you over and above the original .

I'd call a a good licensed, masonry / cement pro guy out for a bid and see what's up first. 

He'll let you know more than likely if you need a structural engineer.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.