• Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Votes |
Picking my next tenant

Ned J.
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Posted Oct 31 2017, 10:02

looking for some insight on selecting my next tenant...

I'm doing my applications through Cozy and I've used a lot of the guidelines I've learned about on BP...just trying to figure out my "deal breakers"

House is up for $1675/month which according to all my research is just a tick below market....I posted on all the normal sites and have had a TON of inquiries...like 60+ contacts.... 2 open houses with 14 groups actually showing up...... but only 3 submitted applications. One was a definite NO based on interaction at the open house....one has pretty bad credit, collection and heavier debt, plus he never even came to the house....

The third candidate seemed promising, but now I have my doubts. She came to an open house and seemed nice, daughter in mid 20s very nice and respectful, another just turned 18

Requirements

5k/month verified income....meets that...her YTD on her paycheck is 66K....and she has a daughter that makes 30k year living there also

Credit score over 600.....hers is 650, 30 k in debt, mostly a car loan...$900/month for debt payment in total

No issues with background check, no collections, no evictions on record, not section 8

Have a call into her employer....

So I contacted her current property management company.....she has lived there for about 30 months...rent is $1150/month. She gave 30 day notice, moving closer to work.

But she has 9 late rent payments....

June 2015...2 days

July 2015...8 days... 3 days notice given

Aug... 6 days...3 day notice given

Feb 2016...2 days

March 2016...1 day

Aug 2016...1 day

Jan 2017...3 days

July 2017...4 days

Aug 2017...1 day late

She has paid the late fee each time

So my big concern is ....rent is going up quite a bit...but she has the income....and 9 late in 30 months.........which is a red flag for me...... but I haven't had many applications submitted despite the heavy interest......

Its on Zillow if you want to check it out.... 158 Shadywood Ave Lathrop CA .....B neighborhood.....

So...she meets the other requirements, but the late payments bother me...... but I have not had a ton of candidates to choose from so far.... deal breaker?

Loading replies...