Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Jing H.
  • Flushing, NY
Votes |
Can Tenants Install Security Cameras (Systems)?

Jing H.
  • Flushing, NY
Posted Nov 2 2017, 07:06

My husband and I rented a two-bedroom, one-bathroom, separate entrance house (one entire floor of the house) in Astoria, NY. We moved here around September 2016 and have no problem with the landlord until now. We started losing packages both from UPS and USPS. We suspected it was the second-floor tenant or someone who lives in the same house. The first thing we did was contacting the landlord. She told me it was none of her business and I need to take care of my own packages. So that’s what I did. I posted an A4 letter size note beneath the general mailbox and I posted an A4 letter size note on my window. The note basically stated that due to recent package theft, please place the packages in the basement.

The landlord was very upset about the note I posted. She tries very hard to get me to take down notes. I told her I can take down the note, but I should be able to use alternative ways to solve my problem. I suggest installing the security camera in front of my own door (it’s a separate entrance) and on my own windows. I am willing to pay for the installation (it’s not cheap). It means that much to me. The landlord was very firm on not allowing me to install cameras. She also told me I should send my packages to my friend's place or at my workplace. I told her I am a paying tenant and I have my rights. I am on a month to month lease, and it does not mention anything about the camera.

So my questions are:

Can I, tenant install security cameras inside or outside our own rental premises?

If I install security cameras without my landlord’s permission, can she just take them down?

Thanks in advance!

Loading replies...