Two girls, one room: help me pick the tenant!

Two girls, one room: help me pick the tenant!

Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2017 · 198 posts · 323 votes

I have one room left to rent out in my group house and I have two girls who have the exact same credit history, they submitted the rental application within minutes of each other, they showed up to look at the house at the exact same time, they both want to move in on the same date, basically they are equal in every way.  How should I fairly decide who I should offer the room to?  Decide based on whose name comes first in Alphabetical order?  Take votes in the BP forums? This is one of the toughest decisions I have ever had to make as a landlord!  Help me!!

0Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · New Haven, CT · Member since 2012 · 285 posts · 175 votes
8y
Get a Bunk bed
See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    close your eyes clear your mind and imagine one of the tenants living in your home That is the tenant you want 

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    If they're both the same as applicants, then I'd say pick the one who turned it in first (even if it was literally by just a few minutes).

    If these are applicants to a room in a home that you also live in, choose the one that seems to fit your household style the best.

  • Investor · Brandon, FL · Member since 2017 · 178 posts · 67 votes
    8y

    with all else equal, go with the one that submitted first. 

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    go with first submitted for approval, and tell her she's got 24 hours to get everything signed and money in. Wait to tell #2 your decision until #1 has all signed.. 

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    Ways to pick - consider showing behavior - consider length of employment - consider responsiveness dont let the second choice go until the first makes the deposit.
  • Investor · New Haven, CT · Member since 2012 · 285 posts · 175 votes
    8y
    Get a Bunk bed
  • Yuba City, CA · Member since 2017 · 101 posts · 52 votes
    8y

    "This is one of the toughest decisions I have ever had to make as a landlord" hahaha! I wish that was one of the only tough decisions we had!!! :)  I would go with Deanna's suggestion! 

  • Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2017 · 198 posts · 323 votes
    8y

    Ultimately, I looked at where both of the potential tenants worked and used google maps to determine who the house is a better fit for based on what their commute would be, then I followed Deanna's advice and offered the room to the one who would have the better commute if she can sign the lease and give me the security deposit within 24 hours.

    Thanks to all for your help in this dilemma!

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    flip a coin 

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    You did not dig deep enough in your screening process. No two people are ever equal. You need to dig deeper into their personalities if the facts are the same. One will be crazier than the other.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Thomas S.:

    You did not dig deep enough in your screening process. No two people are ever equal. You need to dig deeper into their personalities if the facts are the same. One will be crazier than the other.

    I agree with Thomas. You have to look at all of the social media sites these days. Last one I rejected had a YouTube channel and that had mostly nightclub videos on it, twerking away ...

    Since you have a rooming situation, you definitely want somebody who will not be disruptive.

  • Investor · TX · Member since 2015 · 393 posts · 290 votes
    8y

    Three's Company.

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I will approach both be honest with them. Often one wants more will offer more.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    8y

    If they were absolutely equal, the first one to apply and be approved would be the first one I offer it to. That's the fair way.

    As @Thomas S. said, I'm sure there's something different about them that you just haven't found yet. How much do they earn and how long have they been at their current job or in their current career? Who has more open lines of credit or hits on their credit report? Who drives the nicer (cleaner) car? What is their income:debt ratio? Which one shows more respect? How long did they stay at their last rental and how long have they been renters in their life?

    There are many, many questions you could ask to differentiate the two.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2017 · 198 posts · 323 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Roger S.:

    Three's Company.

     Yeah and I'm Mr. Furley.

  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 253 votes
    8y

    Sounds like a fight to the death. Sell tickets.

  • Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2017 · 198 posts · 323 votes
    8y

    I ultimately offered the room to the person who worked closer to the house so they would have a better commute.  Really I was looking out for the other tenant since her commute to work each day would have been awful.  People tend to overuse the word "hero" so I won't use it to describe myself in this situation but clearly I'm doing the Lord's work over here. :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.