Pest Control frequency?

4 Replies

1. As landlord, have pest control full exterior and interior inspection every 6 months? Every year?
How much should I be paying for this?

2. Known pesticide applications landlords should be paying for proactively?

3. What else??

Of course mentioning services must be pets friendly company:)

Thanks BP! -yes I plan to add to next lease in writing

I live in florida....bug central! I have quarterly outside treatments done on all SFHs. Normally, when I turn a house, I will call and ask for indoor treatment to start off new tenant right. They don't typically charge me for those. I pay $77 per property quarterly. They will also treat indoors if anyone needs it, but I  have found that quarterly outdoor sprays keep bugs out and I've not ever had anyone request indoor treatment.

When I inspect a vacant property, I verify there are no signs of pests. Tenants are responsible for ordinary pest control like flies, spiders, the occasional mouse, etc. It's basically a tenant responsibility unless there is something unusual occurring, in which case I will hire pest control to resolve that one issue.

I have monthly pest control on multi family units. Outside only and interior as needed. Probably over kill.  It’s one less thing that I have to deal with. I try not to provide services for single family places but have on occasion. 

Once to twice a year exterior only and even that is "preventative".  Tenants take care of their own interior pest control needs. to eliminate concerns with allergies (them or their pets) to whatever treatments I use.  I insist that units remain clean to keep pests out.  I also do unit inspections and so far, so good. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.