• Investor
  • Stevens Point, WI
Votes |
Information to give an inherited tenant

Samuel Bavido
  • Investor
  • Stevens Point, WI
Posted Nov 12 2017, 17:21

I'm closing on a duplex tomorrow (fulfilling the #90daychallenge!), and I will be inheriting a tenant with the property. She's on a month-to-month lease. When I inspected the property last week I told her that her lease would transfer from the current landlord to the new one, and that I would give her a packet of information about her new landlord once the deal closed. 

So far, this is what I'm planning on including. Does anyone have any thoughts on what else I should include? 

1. Information on making payments

2. Contact information for emergencies or maintenance, plus reporting procedures

3. Contact information form (to be filled out by her)

4. Common security deposit deductions (from Brandon Turner's book on managing rentals)

5. Notice that she is responsible to procure renter's insurance if she wants it (to be signed by her)

6. Expectations from the tenant (to be signed by her)

7. Notice that having a cat is a breach of her lease, with options to get rid of the cat or begin paying pet rent

Additionally, I will schedule a time to go through the unit and take photos to create a record of the condition of the property as it stands now (sadly, the previous landlord did not take such photos). 

Anything else you would include? 

Loading replies...