Votes
Antonio Yang
  • El Segundo, CA
Votes |
Tenant wants to break lease to move into bigger unit

Antonio Yang
  • El Segundo, CA
Posted Nov 18 2017, 13:59

Hello, I need some advise on handling a tenant that wants to move into our newly renovated unit. Here are the facts: 

- Tenant lives in a 1B1B unit with her brother halfway through a 1-year lease. Pays 1600/month.

- Tenant would like to break her lease and move into the newly renovated 2B1B unit in the same complex that we own.

- Tenant pays rent on time, has a messy small dog, and is pretty messy herself.

- Tenant is likely to move out at the end of the lease, but I am ok with that. 

- The market rate for 1B1B is 1800/month and 2B1B remodeled is about 2500/month. 

Although having her move into the 2B1B would mean I could rent the 1B1B at a higher rate, I much rather keep her in the 1B1B so i dont have to spend money cleaning it up and finding a tenant that will actually take care of the new 2B1B. What do you guys recommend so I discourage her/refuse her from breaking her lease to move into the other unit?

CA law requires the tenant to look for a replacement and the landlord to find ways to minimize the loss.  But honestly, I dont want to deal with the logistics/timing in finding someone to take over her 1B1B lease. I could make it more expensive for her to move in as well. 

Any suggestions are appreciated.  I'm open for arguments to keep her and rent the 1B1B at market as well. Thanks!

Loading replies...